Diving into the New Year, UA Swim and Dive defeat GCU

Cedar Gardner

Swimmers from the UA and California teams dive into the pool during the swimming and diving event on Jan. 20.

The University of Arizona men’s and women’s swimming and diving team hosted GCU on Friday, Jan. 12, at 2 p.m., at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center. The men’s swim team emerged victorious with a final score of 180-105 against GCU, with the women’s team also dominating the meet with a final score of 203-89.

The women’s 200-yard Medley relay team, comprising sophomore Paige Armstrong, junior Maddy Ahluwalia, senior Julia Heimstead and junior Alyssa Schwengel, secured the top spot with a relay finals time of 1:41.70. Arizona’s men’s 200-yard medley relay team also succeeded with a final time of 1:29.39, featuring Ryan Purdy, Daniel Young, Haakon Naughton and Tommy Palmer.

Both teams came out on top in the 1000-yard Freestyle. Freshman Ava Sutphin led the women’s team with a final time of 10:27.31, while senior Mason Nyboer secured the win for the men with a final time of 9:31.55.

Arizona sophomore Orion Henderson finished first in the 200-yard Freestyle with a final time of 1:39.30, and Tia Lindsay, a senior from Arizona, earned nine points by finishing first in the women’s 200-yard Freestyle with a time of 1:52.13. Her splits were 26.91, 55.27, 1:23.65 and 1:52.13.

In the women’s 100-yard Backstroke, Armstrong secured first place with a time of 56.58 seconds, followed by Mia Magdalena and Hagsten Skarda at 57.22 seconds. In the men’s 100-yard Backstroke, Purdy represented Arizona as he clinched the top position with an impressive time of 48.20 seconds, with Alex Volkov from GCU trailing at 50.49 seconds.

In the women’s 100-yard Breaststroke event, Arizona freshman Kelsey Wasikowski took the win with a final time of 1:03.76, grabbing nine points for the Wildcats. The men’s 100-yard Breaststroke was conquered by Young, clocking in at 55.72, also securing nine points.

In the 200-yard Butterfly event for the women’s team, Heimstead finished first with a time of 1:58.62. On the men’s side, Arizona sophomore Hayden J. Ghufran secured the top spot with a time of 1:50.14, both athletes obtaining nine points for the team.

In the 50-yard Freestyle event for the women’s team, Elisabeth Timmer from Arizona clinched the top spot with a time of 23.59, while Palmer led the men’s event with a time of 20.64.

In the 100-yard Freestyle event for the women’s team, Schwengel showcased her skill by touching the wall at 51.22, while Purdy dominated the men’s field, registering a swift 44.60 finish.

The 200-yard Backstroke event for the women’s team was won by Armstrong, as she continued to demonstrate her ability by clocking in at a final time of 2:04.22, while in the men’s division, Will Meyers from Arizona won it with a commendable 1:50.68 finish.

In the 200-yard Breaststroke for the women’s team, Wasikowski touched the wall at 2:16.73, coming in first, while in the men’s category, Jonathan Rom of GCU dominated with a swift finish of 2:02.38.

Heimstead displayed impressive stamina in the women’s 500-yard Freestyle, clocking in at 4:56.55, and taking the win. On the men’s side, Nyboer asserted his prowess, finishing in a worthy 4:37.45.

In the 100-yard Butterfly for the women’s team, Paula Martinez Moreno of GCU secured the top spot with a time of 55.76. On the men’s side, Eli Cohen, also representing GCU, demonstrated his speed, finishing first with a time of 51.33.

In the 400-yard Individual Medley for the GCU’s women’s team, Ola Wegrzynowska claimed victory with a time of 4:35.51. Meanwhile, on the men’s side, Jonathan Rom from GCU dominated the event, posting a time of 4:07.24.

In the 200-yard Freestyle Relay for the GCU A women’s team secured the top spot with a time of 1:36.74. On the men’s side, Arizona’s A team finished at 1:21.39, taking the win.

In the women’s 1-meter Diving event, junior Brooke Earley from Arizona secured first place with a score of 292.80. On the men’s side, sophomore Gage Dubois from Arizona claimed victory with a score of 357.45.

In the women’s 3-meter Diving competition, Earley from Arizona took the lead again with a score of 291.55. For the men’s 3-meter diving event, Dubois also claimed the top spot again, registering a score of 356.25.

Looking ahead

Both teams will be back in action next Friday, Jan. 19,  at the University of California, Berkeley at 3 p.m. and next Saturday, Jan. 20, at Stanford University at 11:30 a.m.