Jedd Fisch leaving Arizona, expected to become Washington’s next head coach

Marison Bilagody

University of Arizona head football coach Jedd Fisch watches his players as they run a play at Arizona Stadium on April 9, 2022. Fisch is entering his second year as head coach of the Wildcats.

After a successful three-season stint at the helm of the Arizona Wildcats’ football program, Jedd Fisch has officially accepted the head coaching position at the University of Washington, leaving the Wildcats to embark on a search for their next leader.

The news of Fisch’s move to Washington broke on Sunday, with initial reports by Pete Thamel highlighting him as the frontrunner for the position. Local news station KVOA later confirmed Fisch’s acceptance of the job, revealing that he conducted a team meeting to inform players and coaching staff of his decision.

During his tenure in Tucson, Fisch orchestrated a remarkable turnaround for the Wildcats. Taking charge of a program that had endured a historic 20-game losing streak, he led them from a 1-11 record in his first season to an impressive 10-3 mark in his third year, culminating in a victorious Alamo Bowl appearance against the University of Oklahoma.

Fisch’s impact extended beyond the win-loss column, as he secured one of the highest-ranked recruiting classes in program history. Notable additions included five-star receiver Tetairoa McMillan and 11 other starters.

Just one of many Arizona players that have reacted to Fisch leaving was Jonah Coleman, who posted on X saying “sick ..‍♂️” however Coleman has now deleted the post.

Another reaction came from Sio Nofoagatoto’a who pointed out “thats how the business works”:

The departing coach also excelled in utilizing the transfer portal to bring in top-level talent, contributing to the Wildcats’ success. Arizona closed the 2023 season with a seven-game winning streak, concluding with a notable triumph over Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl.

As Fisch leaves the Wildcats, he leaves behind a roster boasting seven players who received all-conference honors, including standout quarterback Noah Fifita, named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year.

Arizona, now in search of its next head coach, faces the challenge of maintaining the momentum generated under Fisch’s leadership. Fisch’s departure comes at a time when the Wildcats were set to transition to the Big 12 Conference, carrying the promise of a bright future with returning starters and promising talents.

Financial challenges at the university may have played a role in Fisch’s departure, as an expected contract extension with a substantial raise did not materialize. Despite the circumstances, Fisch’s legacy at Arizona marks a significant chapter in the program’s history.

Fisch’s move to Washington places him in a situation familiar to his start in Arizona, as he once again takes on the task of rebuilding a roster. The Huskies, like the Wildcats, are undergoing conference changes, joining the Big Ten Conference along with three other Pac-12 schools.

As the Wildcats enter a new era without Fisch, speculation arises about potential successors. Internal candidates like offensive line coach/offensive coordinator Brennan Carroll may be considered, or the university might explore options outside the current coaching staff.

The departure of Fisch marks the first time a UA football coach has left for another college job since Larry Smith’s move to USC in 1986. The university once again faces the challenge of finding a new leader to guide the Wildcats through their next chapter in college football.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X