Cats defeated by both Cal and Stanford in Pac-12 dual meet over the weekend in the Bay Area

Emma Diaz
The women’s swim team performs the 100 Freestyle on Nov. 4 at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center. The swim and dive meet of UA was against UCLA.

The Arizona men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed on the road on Friday, Jan. 19, at 3 p.m. against the University of California, Berkeley, at Spieker Aquatics Complex and Saturday, Jan. 20, at 12:30 p.m. against Stanford University at Avery Aquatic Center. 

Day one vs. Cal

The Golden Bears secured victories over Arizona’s men’s and women’s teams. with the men’s winning 183-110 and the women’s 181.5-110.5.

The women’s meet kicked off with a win for Cal in the 200 medley relay, featuring Isabelle Stadden, Jade Neser, Mckenna Stone and Morgan Brophy, with a time of 1:36.41.

However, the Arizona’s women’s team, led by senior Julia Heimstead claimed victory against Cal in the 200-yard butterfly, winning with a final time of 1:56.82. Another win for the Wildcats credited to senior Tia Lindsay who came in first in the 200-yard Individual Medley with a final time of 2:02.31.

Furthering Arizona’s success, junior Brooke Earley dominated the 1-meter Diving event with a score of 268.95 and the 3-meter event with a final score of 281.33.

The women’s team continued its strong performance, dominating the 400-yard Freestyle relay with swimmers Heimstead, Lindsay, freshman Maryam Sheikhalizadehkhangh, and sophomore Julia Wozniak, finishing with a time of 3:21.78.

In the men’s team, UA sophomore Ralph Daleiden Ciuferri won the 100 free in 42.68.

Despite UA’s efforts, Cal dominated with various wins, including Trent Frandson in the 1000 free (9:04.18), Bjorn Seeliger in the 100 Backstroke (44.99), Colby Mefford in the 200 Backstroke (1:42.21), Jacob Soderlund in the 200 Breast (1:55.36), Keaton Jones in the 500 free (4:20.37) and Robin Hanson in the 50 free (19.50).

Cal secured victory in the 1-meter Diving event with Joshua Thai scoring 325.65, while UA sophomore Gage Dubois triumphed in the 3-meter event with a score of 355.95.

The UA men’s 400-yard Freestyle medley relay team clinched victory with a time of 2:55.37, including Ciuferri, sophomore Orion Henderson, sophomore Haakon Naughton and sophomore Tommy Palmer.

Day two vs. Stanford

Stanford dominated the relay races, winning the 200 medley relay and the 200 free relay. UA sophomore Paige Armstrong secured a win for the women’s team in the 100-yard backstroke with a final time of 53.69.

For the men’s team, the initial victory in the 200 medley relay with Ryan Purdy, Ryan Foote, Seth Miller and Tommy Palmer was followed by Stanford taking the lead in the subsequent event, the 1000 free.

In the 27th event, Earley scored 280.95 in the women’s 1-meter Diving, earning nine points for the women’s swim and dive team.

Looking ahead:

The Wildcats will face their in-state rivals, ASU, on Feb. 10, at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center in Tucson at noon.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X