Arizona dominates home opener against Sacramento State with season-high team score

Amelia McAnear

The University of Arizona Gymnastics team huddles at a Quad Meet versus Illinois, Texas Women’s and Bowling Green on Jan 14 at McKale Stadium. The Wildcats went on to win the meet with a score of 195.825. 

The Arizona gymnastics team won its opener against Sacramento State University with a score of 196.500 on Sunday, Jan. 21, in McKale Center. The Wildcats posted a season-high team score and two season-high team scores on bars (49.125) and beam (49.125). They also tied their season-best on the floor (49.400). Gymnasts Sophie Derr, Alysen Fears and Emma Strom earned career-high scores, helping Arizona secure the win

Vault: 

In their first rotation, Arizona earned a 48.850 on vault. Malia Hargrove led the team with a score of 9.875, followed by Jessica Castles who scored a 9.80, while Abigayle Martin, Ainsley Greever and Fears all earned 9.725

Uneven bars: 

The Wildcats earned a season-high score of 49.125 during their second rotation on bars. Derr earned a career-best 9.90 and Fears scored a 9.85 respectively. Hargrove and Emily Mueller both posted a 9.80, while Martin scored a 9.775. 

Balance beam: 

Arizona also scored a season-high in its third rotation on beam with a score of 49.125. Leading the event, Fears tied her career-high of 9.875 and Elena Deets posted a 9.85. Castles earned 9.825, Martin scored a 9.80 and Caroline Herry earned 9.775.

Floor: 

In the final rotation, Arizona scored 49.400 on floor. Fears and Hargrove both posted 9.90s to lead the team. Strom scored a career-high of 9.875. Mueller also scored a 9.875, while Herry finished the rotation with a 9.85 to secure the win

Match Leaders: 

Sophie Derr – Uneven Bars, 9.900 

Alysen Fears – Balance Beam, 9.875 

Emma Strom – Floor, 9.875 

Looking ahead: 

Next weekend, Arizona remains at home, when they host Stanford University Saturday, Jan. 27, at 2 p.m. in McKale Center.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X