Arizona hockey secures three-game win streak in homestand against Oregon and San Diego State

Jay Corella
The Oklahoma Sooners celebrate their second goal against the Arizona Wildcats during their hockey game in the Tucson Convention Center on Nov. 3. The goal tied up the game, but the Sooners won in overtime 3-2.

The Arizona hockey team (11-12) faced the University of Oregon (7-12) and San Diego State University (5-14) in an extended home stand spanning three games on three consecutive nights, from Thursday, Jan. 25, to Saturday, Jan. 27, at the Tucson Convention Center. This marked the Wildcats’ last home series until their final two games against ASU on Feb. 15 and 17.

The Wildcats entered the series coming off a series loss against Maryville University in Missouri. A heavy schedule ahead forced the Wildcats to strive for three crucial home wins. The first matchup against Oregon proved to be an offensive onslaught by the Wildcats, who won 7-0. The next series against SDSU also favored the Wildcats, who posted impressive results of 4-1 and 5-1.

Game 1: Thursday, Jan. 25 at 7:30 p.m.

The first period against the Ducks was in the hands of Arizona, with the Wildcats scoring three unanswered goals from Trystan Swiger and Brian Ericsson. Swiger netted the opening goal just 57 seconds into the match. Ryan Fischer was a massive assisting aid for Swiger, helping him score his early and late goals in the period. Despite the early 3-0 advantage the Wildcats held over the Ducks, the Ducks outshot Arizona 16-9. The Wildcats demonstrated a clear tempo and tone change entering this game on home ice.

The Wildcats entered the second period on high spirits after one of their best period performances of the season. This didn’t slow the Wildcats down, with Sam Myers netting yet another Arizona goal just 21 seconds into the period. Arizona was on one of its hottest scoring tears of the season and this did not stop, as Tyler Shetland scored another Wildcat goal. Both goals were once again assisted by Fischer, bringing his game total to four assists just in the second period. The Wildcats’ offense showed out, shooting 21 times on goal over Oregon’s nine.

Despite the massive offensive push by the Wildcats early on, they didn’t release any pressure entering the third period. Ericsson scored his second goal of the game in the start of the period, followed by another goal from Jack Kurrle. Kurrle has been on a scoring tear to start the year, with three goals and two assists in his first five games of the season. Arizona would end the game 7-0, absolutely shutting out the Oregon offense.

Game 2: Friday, Jan. 26 at 1 p.m.

After the routing of Oregon, the Wildcats continued to push on offense in their first matchup against the Aztecs. Arizona’s Hunter Hodgson scored the opening goal  in the latter part of the first period, followed by him netting another just a minute into the second period. Arizona would outshoot the Aztecs by a mile, with the Wildcats shooting 19 in the first period and 22 in the second, compared to the Aztecs’ eight and eight for both periods.

Arizona would enter the second period with a lead of 2-0 in hand and they wouldn’t be slowing down on offense anytime soon. Dylan Walker scored early on, putting the Wildcats up 3-0, but the Aztecs would almost immediately strike back, putting the score at 3-1. However, Jerrett Overland would have the last say in the game, netting the final goal late in the period and securing the Wildcats another home victory. This was the defenseman’s second goal of the season.

Game 3: Saturday, Jan. 27 at 1 p.m.

After two straight home victories, the Wildcats entered the final game of the series looking to secure the sweep at home. Arizona would open the scoring with Kurrle netting an early goal off a power play. The Wildcats continued to set the tone of offensive dominance, as they had throughout the home stand. Arizona would score yet again with Fischer netting the puck in the latter half of the period.

The second period would see the Wildcats given another power play that they took advantage of yet again. Shetland netted another goal for the Wildcats, putting the score at 3-0. The Aztecs would come back again, scoring and putting the Wildcats up by only 2. This wouldn’t last long, with Will Josephson finding the net and putting the Wildcats up 4-1.

The third period remained quiet until late, when Myers found the net and put the Wildcats up 5-1. This would be the closing goal for Arizona, securing its three-game home sweep. Arizona had one of its best offensive showings, shooting 60 times over the course of the game. The Wildcats defense showed out as well, limiting the Aztecs to a mere 16 shots on goal.

Looking ahead:

The Wildcats will be traveling up to Phoenix to face Grand Canyon University (13-14) on Feb. 2 and 3. This will be a repeat of their earlier series against GCU; however, it will be on away ice, unlike their last meeting. Arizona will then travel to Missouri for a three-game away stand facing previous foes Maryville (19-10) on Feb. 8 and then a series against Missouri State University (12-13) on Feb. 9 and 10.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X