Arizona football’s 2024 Big 12 conference schedule

Kohichiro Yamada
The Arizona football team runs onto the field at Arizona Stadium with fireworks on Saturday, Nov. 18. No. 19 Arizona beat the No. 16 University of Utah 42-18.

With the Pac-12 Conference coming to an end, the football team is preparing to compete in the Big 12 Conference starting next season. This shift marks a change in conference affiliation for football and encompasses all sports, bringing with it a fresh set of challenges and exciting matchups for the Wildcats.

The 2024 season officially kicks off on Saturday, Aug. 31, when the Wildcats host the University of New Mexico, followed by a home matchup against NAU on Sept. 7. The Wildcats, under the leadership of head coach Brent Brennan, make their Big 12 debut on Sept. 28, against the University of Utah. This initial meeting with the Utes marks the beginning of a series of intense conference battles, signifying a departure from the familiar Pac-12 landscape that has been their home.

The Wildcats’ Big 12 home opener is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 5, where they will face off against Texas Tech University, a team with whom they share a history dating back to the Border Conference era. This matchup holds special significance, as the two teams have crossed paths 32 times since 1932, creating a rivalry steeped in tradition.

One particular non-conference game against Kansas State University being held on Friday, Sept. 13 stands out. While K-State is a fellow Big 12 member, this game won’t affect conference standings. It is part of a previously arranged home-and-home series, with the return fixture scheduled for Tucson in 2025.

The Wildcats’ Big 12 journey also takes them on the road for some noteworthy matchups. Away games include visits to Brigham Young University on Oct. 12, the University of Central Florida on Nov. 2 and Texas Christian University on Saturday, Nov. 23. Each destination presents its own set of challenges, with the Arizona football program making its first-ever trip to UCF, enhancing the novelty of this upcoming season.

Arizona’s transition to the Big 12 brings some familiar faces into the fold, with former Pac-12 counterparts making the same move. The Wildcats’ conference home games include notable matchups against the University of Colorado on Oct. 19, West Virginia University on Oct. 26 and a showdown with the University of Houston on Nov. 15. 

Arizona ends the regular season with two of three at home, featuring a home game against Houston, a road game at TCU and the highly anticipated 98th Territorial Cup against ASU on Nov. 30 at Arizona Stadium. With two bye weeks strategically placed in the schedule to offer the Wildcats some respite. The first break falls between non-conference and Big 12 play, while the second follows the team’s longest road trip, a journey to Orlando to face UCF. These breaks, a rarity, provide crucial moments for rest and regrouping.

As the anticipation builds, details such as kickoff times and TV information, along with finalized dates for potential weeknight games, will be unveiled at a later date.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X