Arizona hockey faces off with GCU after successful home stretch last week

Nathanial Stenchever
Arizona hockey players get set before a face-off in a game against rival ASU on Friday, Feb. 24, in the Tucson Conversation Center. The Wildcats won 1-0.

The Arizona hockey team (11-12) visits GCU (14-14) on Friday, Feb. 2 and 3, at 7 p.m. in the AZ Ice Arcadia, in Phoenix. The Wildcats are coming off one of their best stretches of the season with massive victories against the University of Oregon and San Diego State University. Arizona looks to repeat its early season victories against GCU. The Wildcats enter an away stretch and will go into Missouri, facing Maryville University and Missouri State University next weekend.

Wildcats to watch

The Wildcats are coming off their most successful offensive series, scoring a total of 16 goals and roughly 5.33 goals per game. Arizona certainly wants to continue dominating teams at this pace, and in order to do so the team will need to play the players like Jack Kurrle, Brian Ericsson and Ryan Fischer. These players have played key positions in scoring and helping to move the Arizona offense forward.

Kurrle has been electric in his five games for the Wildcats, scoring three goals and assisting on two. He has proven himself to be an immediate spark of the team, being critical in the last home series. Ericsson was a scoring menace in the game against Oregon, scoring twice. He was also still critical later in the home stretch against SDSU, where he would put in an assist in the final game. Fischer is currently the most proficient Wildcat at sharing the puck, totaling four assists in the game against Oregon. Fischer proved to be key on scoring as well, scoring a goal in the final game of the SDSU series.

Looking ahead:

The Wildcats will travel to Missouri next weekend to face Maryville University (19-10) and Missouri State (12-13). Arizona will look to turn around the sweep they faced in its last matchup against these teams and improve on its 1-8 away record.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X