Arizona WBB begins to get back on track with win against the Sun Devils

Jay Corella
Sandra Magolico (13) of the Sun Devils guards forward Esmery Martinez (12) of the Arizona Wildcats during their game in McKale Center on Feb. 4. The Wildcats entered the second half of the game with a seven point lead.

The Arizona women’s basketball team faced ASU on Sunday, Feb. 4, at noon in McKale Center. The Wildcats won after playing a strong game after coming off a difficult defeat, last week. The final score in this contest was 63-52, and the Wildcats (12-10, 4-6 in Pac-12) are slowly getting back on track.

First Half

The starting lineup featured Jada Williams, Helena Pueyo, Skylar Jones, Esmery Martinez and Breya Cunningham. Arizona won the tipoff and immediately put numbers on the board to start this rival matchup. This match was set up in the first quarter by both sides’ defensive performances. In the first period, the score remained tight. The Wildcats suffered with early turnovers in this first period but still dominated the court intimidating ASU.

In the start of the second period, Arizona started to pick up the pace, increasing its lead, but that did not stop ASU as the game progressed the intensity only escalated the Wildcats front court, dominating the board, securing crucial rebounds and second chance opportunities. Meanwhile, the Sun Devils relied on their fast paced offense. Courtney Blakely was a key player in the first half helping the Wildcats go into halftime with a seven point lead.

Second Half

Coming out of halftime, an early foul was called on Martinez giving ASU early points to start this half. The game was finally tied with two minutes and 14 seconds left in the third period from a steal by ASU. Shortly after Arizona came back, taking back the lead but multiple fouls and turnovers continued to happen the score continued to be super tight. Blakely also suffered a technical foul in this half.

In this half, despite both teams putting up a lot of shots, they were unable to have many of them fall. Jones showed off her athleticism by continuing to help Arizona maintain a lead. Cunningham also contributed by shaking up ASU’s offense. From there on Arizona broke down ASU’s offense and defense continuing to make shots and bringing Arizona to a victory. At the very last second, a three-point jumper was made by Trayanna Crisp of ASU to end the game.

Postgame and looking ahead

The Wildcats’ next game will be against No. 7 UCLA on Friday, Feb. 9, at 9 p.m. in Pauley Pavilion presented by Wescom located in Los Angeles, California.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X