Arizona’s winning streak is ended in road series against GCU

Nathanial Stenchever
The Arizona hockey team celebrates after a game agiant rival ASU on Feb. 24, 2023 in the Tucson Conversation Center. The Wildcat hockey team won 1-0.

The Arizona hockey team (11-14) hit the road this weekend to face GCU at the AZ Ice Arcadia in Phoenix on Feb. 2 and 3 at 7 p.m., marking the Wildcats’ last away stretch for the season. Following this series, they are set to travel to Missouri next weekend to take on Maryville University and Missouri State University.

Entering the series off a three-game win streak at home against the University of Oregon and San Diego State University, the Wildcats aimed to enhance their away record, which had yielded only one win. However, this series didn’t favor them, resulting in losses in both games against GCU, each by a single goal.

Game 1: Friday, Feb. 2 at 7 p.m.

The game commenced quietly with no goals, and penalties only occurred in the latter minutes of the period. Despite this, Arizona’s offense showed promise, attempting 12 shots on goal compared to GCU’s 8.

Momentum shifted at the start of the second period, but not in Arizona’s favor. GCU scored two goals in the first half of the period, putting the Wildcats down 2-0. GCU’s first goal came off a power play, a situation Arizona hoped to avoid giving them again. As the period progressed, GCU’s offense dominated, with 16 shots compared to Arizona’s eight. Nonetheless, the Wildcats capitalized on a last-minute power play, with Ari Rossi scoring, assisted by Jack Kurrle and Ryan Fischer. Rossi’s goal, his second of the season, came as Kurrle continued his impressive start, averaging a point per game with six points in his first six games. The third period passed with no scoring, but GCU maintained offensive control, outshooting Arizona 20 to 7.

Game 2: Saturday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m.

Arizona started the second game with one of its quickest goals of the season, just 15 seconds in. Tyler Shetland scored, setting the tone early. This marked Shetland’s eighth goal of the season. Arizona continued its offensive onslaught with another goal from Jesse Lowell, his 11th of the season. Despite the early two-goal advantage, GCU and Arizona were neck and neck with seven and six shot attempts, respectively.

The second period favored GCU as they scored two late goals to tie the game 2-2. GCU dominated with 20 shot attempts over Arizona’s three. Which meant the Wildcats needed a quick turnaround to secure victory.

Lowell opened the scoring in the final period, putting the Wildcats up 3-2 in a crucial moment. Lowell’s 12th goal on the season, however, couldn’t secure the win. GCU went on to score two more goals, sealing the game in its favor. Arizona ended the series without any crucial away wins.

Looking ahead

The Wildcats continue their road trip next week with three consecutive games against Maryville and Missouri State. They aim to improve their 1-10 away record and secure crucial points. Following this away series, the Wildcats conclude their season back in Tucson against rivals ASU.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X