ASUA Notebook 1/31/24: Election dates, new campus resource center

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate voted on its consent agenda and announced other upcoming events on campus at its first meeting back for the semester.

With the semester being back in full swing, ASUA unanimously voted and moved forward on all club funding matters at hand. 

The senate also announced the dates of its upcoming primary elections, which will be held Feb. 20-21, as well as general elections, held March 20-21.  

The LGBTQ+ Student Resource Center, in partnership with UA Pride Alliance, is hosting a Valentine’s Day tea party on Friday, Feb. 9 from 4-6 p.m. There will be tea and card making. This event will be held at the LGBTQ+ Resource Center in room 404 of the Student Union Memorial Center.  

The senate also introduced the application for a Middle East and North African Resource Center. The first step of this application has been approved, and a meeting with UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins will be held soon to get approval on the administrative end. 

The Graduate and Professional Student Council is working on a project that will help provide free menstrual products in female and gender-neutral first-floor bathrooms on main campus, rolling out spring 2025. 

However, this motion was not initially approved due to the fact that menstrual products do not fall under the category of basic hygiene needs. The senate is working on a way to get this initiative going.

“The money would come from the senate and be created as a grant program. The senate is strategizing on how to move forward as well as focusing on other initiatives for the time being,” ASUA Executive Vice President Eddie Barron said. 

The senate will continue some of these discussions in upcoming meetings, which are held every Wednesday at the ASUA office on the third floor of the SUMC.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X