Arizona hockey returns home after long road stretch in Missouri to face in-state rivals, ASU

Arizona%E2%80%99s+Brian+Ericsson+and+John+Shively+during+the+ASU+game+in+the+Tucson+Convention+Center+on+Feb.+15.+The+Wildcats+won+its+sixth+straight+Cactus+Cup.+
Danielle Main
Arizona’s Brian Ericsson and John Shively during the ASU game in the Tucson Convention Center on Feb. 15. The Wildcats won its sixth straight Cactus Cup.

The Arizona hockey team (13-15) is set to face ASU in Tucson on Thursday, Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. The Wildcats return to Tucson after their most successful away outing, resulting in a win against Maryville University and a 1-1 series against Missouri State University. The Wildcats aim to replicate their last home stand against the University of Oregon and San Diego State University, resulting in a sweep.

Keys to success:

Arizona has been impressive in its recent home games, and even on the road, this team seems to be heating up at the right time to face ASU. The Wildcats are undefeated (3-0) in Tucson Convention Center since the beginning of 2024, boasting the fourth-best home winning percentage in the WCHL with 10 wins over four losses.

ASU isn’t one of the strongest opponents outside of Tempe; they have the second-worst record in the WCHL for away winning percentage (35.4%). They enter Tucson on one of the most crucial weekends of the season, Senior Weekend. The Wildcats aim to end their season strongly for the departing players, especially against their in-state rivals.

Wildcats to watch:

Key players for the Wildcats this season, including Tyler Shetland, Jesse Lowell and Sam Myers, will look to perform at their highest level to demonstrate their dominance on the ice. Other players, such as Jack Kurrle, Ryan Fischer and Dylan Walker, will continue to illustrate their importance to the team on all sides of the ice. The entire team will have the spotlight on them for this important matchup; this series could set the tone for the next season later this year.

Looking ahead:

This series will bring the Wildcats’ WCHL season to a close. However, this isn’t their last matchup as they face the Arizona Coyotes Alumni on Feb. 24 at 1 p.m. The Wildcats’ season has been filled with many ups and downs, with both challenging road games and losses at home, but the team has turned their season around and aims to end this turbulent season on a high.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X