Arizona women’s swimming and diving finish 7th in Pac-12 Championships

Heather Newberry

A California Women’s Swimming and Diving team member competes during the Swimming and Diving meet on Jan. 20 at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center.

The Pac-12 Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships took place from Wednesday, Feb. 28 to Saturday, March 2 at Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Washington. The Arizona women’s swim team finished the championships in 7th place with 514 points.

Day 1: Wednesday, Feb. 28

On the first day, the women’s 200-yard medley relay concluded with Paige Armstrong, Maddy Ahluwalia, Julia Heimstead and Julia Wozniak coming in third place with a final time of 1:36.90. This led to Arizona finishing in third place with 54 points after the second event.

The final event of the day was the women’s 800-yard freestyle relay, which ended with a fifth-place finish and a time of 7:09.02 for the Wildcats, including Heimstead, Tia Lindsay, Amalie Mortensen and Wozniak.

The Wildcats walked away with a podium finish, securing third place with 104 points for the day.

Day 2: Thursday, Feb. 29

The first event of the day was the women’s 1-meter dive, concluding with Brooke Earley in fourth place with a score of 296.55. Also, Arizona’s Zara Ayazi came in 13th with 258.20. This resulted in Arizona coming in fifth with 40 points following the first event. Following the fifth event, Arizona found themselves positioned in 7th place, having accrued a total of 144 points in the competition standings.

The 6th event was the women’s 200-yard Individual Medley, concluding with Arizona’s Kelsey Wasikowski coming in 20th at 1:59.58, and Lindsay coming in 21st at 1:59.86. This resulted in Arizona securing 7th place with 153 points following the sixth event.

The 7th event was the women’s 50-yard freestyle, with Arizona’s Wozniak finishing in 19th with a time of 22.58, and Lexi Duchsherer finishing in 21st with a final time of 22.78.

The Wildcats concluded the day’s events in the 8th position, accumulating a total of 163 points on the scoreboard.

Looking ahead: 

The Arizona women’s swimming and diving team eagerly awaits Selection Day on Wednesday, March 6, to discover if any of its athletes have secured finalist spots and NCAA qualifying times. This achievement could potentially earn them a coveted spot in the upcoming national championships next month.

On this date, the psych sheet for the women’s championships, outlining eligible institutions for each relay event and a list of alternates, will be posted. This year’s championships are scheduled to occur from March 20-23 at the Jack Bauerle Pool at Gabrielsen Natatorium in Athens, Georgia.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X