Arizona softball defeats OSU in first Pac-12 series of the year

Nathanial Stenchever

Arizona softball pitcher Aissa Silva throws warm-up pitches before the top of the fifth inning on March 3 during the Hillenbrand Invitational at Mike Candrea Field. Arizona won four out of the five games in the tournament.

The Arizona softball team won two out of three games against Oregon State University in its first Pac-12 series of the season in Corvallis, Oregon, from March 8-9.

The Wildcats entered the series coming off a series loss to the University of Louisville, bringing their record to 17-4-1. With the two wins over OSU, the Wildcats now boast a record of 19-5-1, and 2-1 in conference play.

Despite the challenging Pacific Northwest weather prompting adjustments in game times and resulting in a doubleheader on Friday, Arizona experienced a 3-2 defeat to OSU in the bottom of the eighth inning during the first game. The Wildcats bounced back in game two, winning 6-4, and then shut out OSU in game three on Saturday with a score of 6-0.

The Wildcats utilized almost every pitcher on staff in the series, including Miranda Stoddard, Aissa Silva and Ali Blanchard in the first two games. Pitching coach Christian Conrad allowed Silva to pitch through all seven innings of game three, where she only gave up two hits and posted nine strikeouts in 105 pitches.

Arizona’s offense rebounded from averaging only 3 runs a game in the past five games, now averaging 5 runs a game against OSU.

Allie Skaggs found her offensive stride in game two, hitting a home run to right center field, scoring the winning run for the Wildcats’ victory. Skaggs wasn’t done, however, as she hit 2 more home runs in game three in the top of the second and third innings, launching both balls to left center field. Skaggs had five hits and four RBIs in the series.

With their recent wins, the Wildcats are ranked No. 3 in the Pac-12 and now are ranked 22 in the country.

Looking ahead:

The Wildcats now return home after spending 10 days on the road. The Wildcats are set to play the University of Washington next at home in Mike Candrea Field at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium on March 15-17. Washington is 18-3 and is also 2-1 in conference play after its series with ASU.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X