Arizona men’s swimming and diving finish 4th in Pac-12 Championships

Cedar Gardner

A UA men’s swimmer competes at the Swimming and Diving meet on Jan 20. against California.

The Pac-12 men’s Swimming and Diving Championships took place from Wednesday, March 6 to Saturday, March 9 at Weyerhaeuser King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, Washington. The Arizona men’s swim team finished the championships in 4th place with 433 points.

Day 1: Wednesday, March 6

On the first day, Arizona set an all-time top time of 1:22.90 in the 200 medley with seniors Ryan Purdy, Ryan Foote, Seth Miller and sophomore Tommy Palmer taking second place. This surpassed the previous record of 1:23.23 set at the 2013 NCAA Championships. In addition, the four swimmers secured an NCAA “A” cut with their performance in the relay, ensuring their participation in the national championships scheduled for later this month.

The next event of the day was the 800-yard freestyle relay. Sophomores Ralph Daleiden, Orion Henderson, Haakon Naughton and senior Jadan Nabor finished in fourth place with a final time of 6:15.72. The team also secured an NCAA “A” cut and a run at the national championships.

The Wildcats ended the first day in 3rd place with 154 points.

Day 2: Thursday, March 7

The following day began with individual races, including the 500 free, 200 IM and 50 free events.

In the 500 free, Beck Parnham finished 6th in the ‘B’ final with a time of 4:19.26, while Mason Nyboer secured 6th place in the ‘C’ final with a time of 4:23.53.

For the 200 IM, Henderson claimed 3rd place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 1:43.81, Nabor secured 5th place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 1:44.30, Purdy clinched 1st place in the ‘C’ final with a time of 1:43.26, Naughton finished 2nd in the ‘C’ final with a time of 1:44.83, Tavner Wisdom secured 6th place in the ‘C’ final with a time of 1:48.45 and Tate Bahti finished 7th in the ‘C’ final with a time of 1:48.95.

In the 50 free, Palmer finished 4th in the ‘A’ final with a time of 19.08, Miller secured 6th place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 19.73, Jack Donovan finished 8th in the ‘B’ final with a time of 19.82 and Ralph Daleiden clinched 2nd place in the ‘C’ final with a time of 19.62.

Arizona’s 200 free relay team, composed of Palmer, Miller, Donovan and Daleiden, finished 3rd with a time of 1:15.97, equaling the school record set at last year’s Pac-12 Championships by Palmer, Miller, Maric Ercegovic and Ryan Perham.

The second day’s results ended with Arizona finishing in 4th place with 224.5 points.

Day 3: Friday, March 8

In the 400 IM, Parnham finished 9th in the ‘B’ final with a time of 3:43.38, while Jacob Hand placed 6th in the same final with a time of 3:48.27.

For the 100 fly, Naughton and Nabor both secured 7th place in the ‘A’ final with a time of 46.08. Palmer clinched 1st place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 45.81, followed by Miller in 6th place with 47.00 and Hayden Ghufran in 8th place with 47.12 in the same final.

In the 200 free, Daleiden claimed 5th place in the ‘A’ final with a time of 1:32.78. Henderson took 2nd place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 1:33.67, while Miles Bottai secured 8th place in the same final with a time of 1:36.34. Riley Babson finished 8th in the ‘C’ final with a time of 1:41.12.

Moving to the 100 breaststroke, Purdy finished 8th in the ‘A’ final with a time of 52.56. Tavner Wisdom and Foote secured 3rd and 4th place respectively in the ‘B’ final with the same time of 52.56. Daniel Young placed 4th in the ‘C’ final with a time of 53.63, while Bahti finished 6th in the same final with a time of 55.05.

In the 100 backstroke, Hardy secured 6th place in the ‘A’ final with a time of 46.28. Ogi Maric claimed 4th place in the ‘B’ final with a time of 46.94, followed by Purdy in 5th place with 47.37 and Donovan in 6th place with 47.42 in the same final.

Finally, in the 400 medley relay, the team consisting of Hardy, Purdy, Nabor and Daleiden finished 4th with a time of 3:05.60.

The Wildcats ended the day in 4th place with 372 points.

Day 4: Saturday, March 9

Arizona concluded its week of racing with a podium finish and two top-eight achievements.  Naughton secured third place in the 200 fly, clocking in at 1:41.67. Daleiden, another sophomore known for his freestyle prowess, claimed 6th place in the 100 free with a time of 42.22.

Hardy finished 2nd and Will Meyers 3rd in the ‘C’ final of the 200 back, Daleiden placed 6th in the ‘A’ final of the 100 free, and Miles Bottai finished 8th in the ‘C’ final of the same event. In the 200 breast, Foote and Wisdom placed 5th and 6th respectively in the ‘B’ final, while Jake Hand clinched 1st place in the ‘C’ final. Bahti secured 5th place and Young finished 8th in the ‘C’ final of the same event.

In the 200 fly, alongside Naughton’s podium finish, Parnham, Nabor, Henderson and Ghufran secured spots in the ‘B’ final, finishing 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th respectively.

The Wildcats ended the week with 433 points.

Looking ahead:

The Arizona men’s diving team will be sending Gage DuBois, Austin Flaute and Bjorn Markentin to join Brooke Earley and Zara Ayazi from the women’s diving team and they will be heading up north to NAU from Monday, March 11 until Wednesday, March 13 to compete in the NCAA Zone Diving Championships.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X