Arizona gymnastics set to compete at the NCAA Regionals

Noor Haghighi
The Arizona gymnastics team watches their introduction video before a meet in McKale Center on March 13. The Gymcats won against Southern Connecticut State with an overall score of 196.9.

The Arizona gymnastics team will compete in the NCAA Regionals in Bud Walton Arena on Thursday, April 4, in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The GymCats will have a quad meet against the No. 7 University of Kentucky, the No. 12 University of Arkansas and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Only 36 teams were selected for the regional competition, which will last until Sunday, April 7. The top two teams from the Fayetteville Regional, Ann Arbor Regional, Berkeley Regional and the Gainesville Regional will determine who will compete in the NCAA National Championships from April 18 to April 20. 

Arizona will compete in the NCAA Regionals for the fifth year in a row and 35th time in program history. The GymCats ended their season ranked 24th in the NCAA standings after finishing the season with a 196.885 National Qualifying Score, its highest NQS in program history. In addition, the GymCats posted two program records on beams and bars during their 2023-2024 season. During the Pac-12 Championships on March 23, the Wildcats earned a score of 196.475, placing them seventh overall in the conference.

Kentucky finished the season with an NQS of 197.810 and a record of 11-4, winning each of its last four matchups. Arkansas finished the season with an NQS of 197.445 and a record of 10-11-1, winning its last two regular-season matchups. Lastly, Nebraska finished with an NQS of 196.780 and an overall record of 14-11. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X