Pima County Fair returns to Tucson, Wiz Khalifa set to perform

Iconic symbols of the fair, the Ferris wheel and swings, light up the night sky at the 2023 Pima County Fair. Visitors can expect the same attractions at this year’s event running from April 18-28. Photo courtesy of Pima County Fair.

Adrenaline-pumping rides and crazy deep-fried foods are returning to Tucson this month with the annual Pima County Fair from April 18-28. The event is expected to attract a pre-pandemic attendance of nearly 324,000 visitors. 

General admission tickets will cost $12 per adult, $8 for military and seniors (55+), $6 for children ages 6-10 and are free for those age 5 and under. Concert upgrades are $20 each and will include a seat in front of the stage, VIP bathrooms and bar access.

The fair will feature over 50 rides this year, including two roller coasters.

The fair’s Entertainment and Marketing Manager, Launa Rabago, said via email, “There wasn’t a roller coaster for several years prior to the pandemic. We are excited because roller coasters are such a staple to any carnival, just like a carousel is. This year we will have two!” 

Rabago explained that while the number of tickets required for each ride will differ, she recommends that people purchase the Weekday Discount Fun Pass for 10 rides or games for $20. The pass is only available to buy until April 17.

Outside of the various games and rides, a few big-name artists are making their way to Tucson to perform at the fair. Wiz Khalifa and That Mexican OT are just a few of the artists coming to perform.

“Tucson is such a diverse community and we try and find something for everyone. I think us being able to get a date with Wiz Khalifa was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, with him routing to Stage Coach,” Rabago said. “Similarly, getting a date with That Mexican OT happened because of the relationships built with talent managers over the years.  Someone mentioned him to me, and I took a gamble, and now he’s popping.”

Rabago says the fair is looking for ways to make the event more affordable. She said that admission costs will be waived for donating cans of food, and the fair is working with a few vendors to create $9.99 meals for those who might not otherwise be able to eat at the event. She says that the $12 general admission cost is definitely going to be worth what you get.

“Where else can you go to see Wiz Khalifa, a bird show and a rodeo, all for $12.00?” Rabago said. “A person can be at the Pima County Fair for 5 hours, watching free entertainment before even setting foot on the carnival.”

Amari Saavedra, a psychology student at the University of Arizona, said they’re looking forward to attending the fair with their family and partner as part of a family tradition.

“I’ve always gone with my family ever since I was a kid,” Saavedra said. “So, just getting the chance to hang out and get funnel cake is so fun.”

Their partner, Clarabella Dalton, said that she is also looking forward to experiencing the fair with her partner and their family.

“I just love the fair. I love the smells, the rides, everything,” Dalton said. “I’ve always loved the alien invasion ride, and I eagerly await it every year.”

Whether it’s a cherished tradition or someone’s first time there, the Pima County Fair could have something for everyone.

For more information or to buy tickets online, potential attendees can visit the Pima County Fair website.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)