University of Arizona sophomore killed, three injured in shooting

A University of Arizona student was killed, and three others were injured in an early Sunday morning shooting near Country Club Road and Speedway Boulevard.

Officers responded to reports of gunfire around 1:40 am. Sunday, where police found UA sophomore Erin Jones outside a residence with gunshot wounds. She was transported to a local hospital, where she died, police said.

Two other victims, a teen girl and an adult male, were treated for non-life-threatening gunshot trauma, according to the police report. Another victim was discovered inside a car at the scene and is expected to survive.

The University of Arizona President Robert Robbins released a statement later Sunday offering condolences to Jones’ family, friends, and classmates. He said the university will provide counseling and support services to students and staff impacted by this tragedy.

“Any loss of life is tragic, especially for a young person taken from her family and friends so early in her life,” Robbins said in the statement. “I want to encourage any of you struggling to cope with this devastating news, whether you knew Erin or not, to take advantage of our campus resources.”

Tucson Police are investigating the shooting. No arrests have been made at this time.

Students needing mental health support can contact Campus Health’s Counseling & Psych Services at 520-621-3334 or online at caps.arizona.edu.

Arizona Sonoran News is a news service of the University of Arizona.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram andTwitter/X