Arizona baseball combines for seven homers, takes two of three on the road in Utah

Danielle Main
Arizona Wildcats form a team huddle before their game against the GCU Lopes on March 19 at Hi Corbett Field. Wildcats took the win 6-4.

Andrew Cain and Mason White each hit a pair of home runs and the No. 17 Arizona baseball team took two of three games on the road against the University of Utah at Smith’s Ballpark in Salt Lake City. The series win improves Arizona to 32-18 (19-8 in Pac-12 Conference) and one win away from clinching the Pac-12 regular season title.

Day 1: Friday, May 10

Game 1: No. 17 Arizona vs. Utah at 11 a.m.

Arizona’s ace, Jackson Kent, struggled while Utah’s starting pitcher, Bryson Van Sickle, pitched a complete game as the Wildcats dropped game one to the Utes 6-1.

After scoring at least five runs in each of their last six games, the Wildcats mustered just one run off of only three hits against the Utes. Their lone run came on a Brandon Rogers solo home run to left field in the top of the fifth inning. Rogers had entered the game in the previous half-inning to replace an injured TJ Adams.

In the top of the fourth, Emilio Corona was stranded at third after legging out a triple. He was the only Wildcat to reach scoring position all game. Utah starter Van Sickle pitched his second complete game of the season, striking out eight on 108 total pitches.

Meanwhile, Arizona starter Kent struggled for his second consecutive start, surrendering 5 runs (4 earned) on six hits over six innings pitched. Kent, who entered his last start against the University of Stanford with a 2.41 ERA, has allowed 10 runs (9 earned) over his last 10.2 innings pitched.

A 2-run home run from Karson Bodily put Utah on the board in the bottom of the fourth. Bodily finished the game 2-for-3 with three RBIs. The Utes added two more runs in the bottom of the fifth off two singles, a walk and a fielding error from Rogers in center field.

Utah first baseman Drake Digiorno doubled to open the sixth inning, eventually scoring on a sacrifice fly to make it a 5-1 game.

Day 2: Saturday, May 11

Game 2: No. 17 Arizona vs Utah at 11 a.m.

Mason White homered twice and Arizona beat Utah 8-4 to even the series.

White opened the game with a solo shot in the top of the first inning to give Arizona an early lead. Then, up 2-0 in the top of the fourth, Cain’s 3-run home run, his fourth of the season, gave Arizona a 5-0 lead.

Coming off his complete game shutout last weekend against Stanford, Arizona Starter Clark Candiotti was dominant during the first six innings on Saturday, allowing just a single run on four hits. However, in the bottom of the seventh, Utah was able to scratch across a pair of runs on a Kaden Carpenter home run to put the Utes within striking distance. 

In the top of the ninth, White’s 2-run shot off left-handed reliever Ernesto Lugo-Canchola, his second home run of the game and 17th of the season extended Arizona’s lead to 8-3. 

Designated hitter Maddox Mihalakis finished the game 3-for-4 with a double, a walk and three RBIs, while catcher Blake McDonald also went 3-for-4 with two RBIs, a pair of doubles and a run scored. 

Utah starter Merit Jones took the loss, allowing 6 earned runs over five innings pitched. The sophomore righty gave up nine hits, including three doubles and a pair of home runs.

Day 3: Sunday, May 12

Game 3: No. 17 Arizona vs Utah at 7 p.m.

Cain hit his second home run of the series in a monster fifth inning and the Wildcats offense showcased their plate discipline to take a 10-4 victory in their rubber match with Utah. 

Trailing 2-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning, Arizona racked up 5 runs on four hits and three walks. The barrage began with a line-drive 2-run homer down the right field line from Cain that scored McDonald and tied the game. Then, Utah starter Colter McAnelly issued three consecutive walks to load the bases before being pulled. All three of those runners would score on RBI singles from Garen Caulfield and Brendan Summerhill to give Arizona a 5-2 lead.

Arizona didn’t stop there.

In the bottom of the sixth, Arizona tacked on 3 more runs. Mihalakis led off the inning with a solo shot to right field, his second home run of the season. After White smacked a single for his fourth RBI of the series, Summerhill drew a bases-loaded walk to extend Arizona’s lead to 8-3.

Cam Walty picked up the win, improving to 8-1 on the season. He allowed 3 earned runs over 5 innings pitched, striking out three. Walty appeared to be headed for a short start early, giving up a run in each of the first two innings. However, despite allowing five hits in his final three innings of work, Utah was only able to score 1 additional run. 

McAnelly was the polar opposite of Walty, allowing 5 earned runs on just three hits. McAnelly struggled to work the strike zone, issuing four walks over his 4.2 innings pitched. Meanwhile, Arizona’s pitching staff issued just three walks over the entire series.

After going 1-for-8 in the first two games of the series, Summerhill broke through in game three, going 3-for-4 with 4 RBIs, a walk and a 2-run home run in the top of the ninth that extended Arizona’s lead to 10-4.

Looking ahead:

Arizona returns home on Thursday, May 16, for a three-game regular-season finale against Oregon State. The series will determine which team wins the Pac-12 regular-season title. The first pitch for all three games is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter/X