O’Neill officially named new assistant coach

Kevin O’Neill was announced as Arizona’s new assistant coach as expected at a press conference this afternoon.

O’Neill, a former UA assistant and Toronto Raptors head coach, replaces former UA associate head coach Jim Rosborough on the staff.

“”It’s an honor and a privilege to be back here working with (UA head coach) Lute (Olson), working at the University of Arizona,”” O’Neill said. “”I’m excited about the possibilities of it, competing for a national championship, which is what this program’s always been about.

“”I’m appreciative of coach Olson bringing me back here, and I’m appreciative of being able to coach in such a great place and in a great town.””

O’Neill, also a former head coach at Marquette, Tennessee and Northwestern, spent this past season as a consultant for the Indiana Pacers. He had head coaching offers in college and assistant offers in the NBA, but ultimately chose to return to the place he worked as an assistant from 1986-89.

“”The thing that really intrigued me was coming back to Arizona,”” O’Neill said. “”If I was going to come back to college basketball it was going to be at a place of Arizona’s caliber and preferably a place where I know people, so this was a good opportunity. It happened at the right time.””

It’s no secret why the Wildcats chose O’Neill, who owns a reputation as a defensive specialist, an area Arizona struggled with this season.

“”They didn’t hire me for my looks,”” O’Neill said.

Check the Wildcat tomorrow for more on O’Neill’s hiring.