Arizona football players Jake Fischer and Jake Smith join lawsuit against NCAA and EA Sports

Two Arizona football players are among the six current college football players in a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Seniors Jake Fischer and Jake Smith join Vanderbilt linebacker Chase Garnham, Clemson cornerback Darius Robinson and Minnesota tight end Moses Alipate and wide receiver Victor Keise in suing the NCAA, according to the Associated Press. The suit claims the NCAA owes former players billions of dollars for using their likeness without compensation.

The total number of all NCAA athletes, both former and current in the lawsuit is 16 and the lead plaintiff is former UCLA basketball star Ed O’Bannon. EA Sports, which publishes the NCAA Football games is also being sued.

On July 5, a federal judge in Oakland, Calif., let attorneys update their lawsuit and add at least one current player to it, according to the Associated Press. The NCAA agreed in writing that current players would not be punished for joining the lawsuit.

All six current players are seniors, and Fischer is one of the biggest names on the list. Last season he led the Wildcats with 119 tackles and his No. 33 is featured on the UA jerseys being sold this season.

Arizona released a statement from Athletic Director Greg Byrne.

“We are aware that Jake Smith and Jake Fischer are now plaintiffs in the lawsuit,” Byrne said in the statement. “While we do not support the lawsuit, we support their right to be involved and express their opinion. They are two fine young men and we are glad they are part of our program and University.”

Smith is a candidate to replace the graduated John Bonano as the Arizona’s place kicker.

“I love being a student athlete at the University of Arizona, playing for ‪@CoachRodAZ under ‪@Greg_Byrne but the players deserve a voice! ‪#APU,” Smith tweeted.