Police Beat

Woman calls police about shady Facebook request

A woman called police on Monday around 5 p.m. after a suspicious man added her to Facebook.

Police responded to a call from a woman who told them about a man who had sexually molested her in New York in 2004. The woman told officers that earlier that day she was on her Facebook account when the father of the man who assaulted her friend-requested her.

The woman told officers that to the best of her knowledge, the man who had assaulted her was back in Wales and no longer in the U.S.

The woman did not add the man as a friend, but showed officers the Facebook profile. She told them that she was concerned that the man who had sexually assaulted her may be trying to contact her using his father’s information. She told officers that she reported this because she wanted it on file.

Minor caught shoplifting clothes at bookstore

A minor was caught shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on Monday around 5 p.m.

Police responded to a call for larceny at the bookstore.

When they arrived, they made contact with an employee who said that store employees had detained a young man for attempting to steal three pairs of socks. The boy was walking around the store when he picked up a sweatshirt and sweatpants. The employee said that they then saw him put three pairs of socks in the front pocket of his sweater. When questioned, the boy told officers that he had only planned on stealing the socks. Police searched his backpack and person and found no other items. He admitted what he did was wrong.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting. Because of his age, his mother was called and he was released into her custody.

Woman taken to hospital, arrested on warrants

A woman was arrested after being sent to the hospital while walking in the street Monday around 12:45 p.m.

Police responded to University Medical Center to check on the welfare of a female subject who was reportedly walking in traffic.

While speaking with police, the woman’s walk was unsteady, and her speech was slurred. She gave police her driver’s license to identify herself. A records check revealed five confirmed warrants through Tucson Police Department.

The woman was arrested and taken to Pima County Jail, where she was booked for her five warrants.

Bookstore catches man shoplifting magazines

A man was arrested on charges of shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore on Monday around 11 a.m.

Police responded to a call about a shoplifter in custody at the bookstore. When they arrived, they made contact with an employee who told officers about the man they had in custody.

Security saw the man pick up four magazines and walk out of the store without paying for them. A security guard then followed him out of the store and watched as the man placed the magazines into a U-Mart bag. The security guard made contact with the man and took him into a conference room in the bookstore.

The man told officers that he took the magazine without paying for it, but that he had “”just forgot to pay”” and was going to return to the bookstore to pay for the items.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting. The total value of the merchandise was $22.24.

Student cited for marijuana in Kaibab

A man was cited for marijuana possession Sunday at 10:27 p.m. in Kaibab-Huachuca.

Police responded to a call from a resident assistant in the dorm who said there was a smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When police arrived, they located the room and knocked on the door.

A man answered the door and let officers into the room. Police observed another man getting out of his bed. The officers asked if they had been smoking marijuana. The man who had gotten out of the bed said he had smoked outside earlier and that he might still smell like it. He told officers that his roommate had nothing to do with the smell.

Officers asked the man to step outside of the room. He told officers that he had smoked all of his marijuana earlier but there may still be some in his pocket.

Officers asked the man where he got the marijuana, and he told them it was from a man’s friend but he was not sure of the name. He then told officers that he used the marijuana to smoke a blunt.

The man consented to a search of his part of the room. While they searched, he gave officers a bag containing a little marijuana from a sweater he said he was wearing earlier when he smoked.

The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana, and the marijuana was confiscated.

Man cited for marijuana in Manzi-Mo Residence Hall

Police responded to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall Sunday at 9:35 p.m. for an odor of marijuana.

An RA took officers up to the area where the odor was coming from when they arrived. They knocked on the door, and a man answered. He allowed officers to enter the room. Upon entering, the officers noticed a fan blowing out an open window and another man in the room. The smell of marijuana was more distinct in the room.

Police asked the men if they could search the room. One of the residents consented to having his side searched; the other did not. The man who answered the door told officers that he had gotten back to the room only 10 minutes ago and had not smoked any marijuana. Police reported that he exhibited no signs of marijuana use.

The other man had glassy, red, watery eyes and dilated pupils. He slouched in his chair while talking to officers and kept his eyes closed for part of the conversation. The officers asked the man if they could see his tongue. It had a greenish tint to it, a sign of marijuana use.

Police asked the man to step outside. They informed him that he was going to be arrested, and he responded by asking, “”Don’t I have the right to remain silent?”” Police told him he did but that they were not going to question him further; they just wanted to let him know he was being cited.

The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana and referred to the Dean of Students Office.