Dedicated employees recognized at ceremony

Gordon Bates/ Arizona Daily Wildcat
Jeffery Warburton, a theater professor at UA for the past 35 years, received a voucher for a 40+ person cake from cheerleader Aia Evenas, a communications sophomore. The cake was won by Warburton in a raffle at the UA Faculty and Staff Service Awards ceremony, which was held to thank and honor UA employees who have worked here for ten or more years.
Godon Bates
Gordon Bates/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Jeffery Warburton, a theater professor at UA for the past 35 years, received a voucher for a 40+ person cake from cheerleader Aia Evenas, a communications sophomore. The cake was won by Warburton in a raffle at the UA Faculty and Staff Service Awards ceremony, which was held to thank and honor UA employees who have worked here for ten or more years.

The UA recognized employee milestones Wednesday at the Annual Service Awards Luncheon.

The event honored employees who have worked at the UA for 10 or more years in the North Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center. “”This is to recognize years of service for employees at the UA,”” said Kathy Hawkes-Smith, director of University Events.

More than 500 honorees attended the luncheon, which was not open to the public. The employees were supported by the deans of their respective colleges, as well as President Robert Shelton and his staff.

“”This event demonstrates what it takes to make a great, world-class university,”” Shelton said.

The honorees were treated to lunch and live music before listening to a brief presentation given by Executive Vice President and Provost Meredith Hay.

Employees were commended for their commitment to the university.

“”I would like to thank them for their talents, certainly their dedication, and for making the university what it is today,”” said Edward Gomez, president of the Staff Advisory Council.

Shelton noted his appreciation for these employees, who have remained optimistic through challenging times.

“”We know that you’re working long hours and making things happen in a time of great stress for all of us,”” Shelton said.

The awards were given in five-year increments, starting at 10 years of service and continuing to 45 years. Hay read aloud the names of almost 130 people who have served 30 or more years. These employees were also able to get their picture taken with Shelton.

Honorees were presented with gifts such as pens, etched glasses and desk caddies based on their years of service. The luncheon also featured a raffle for UA sports tickets, UA merchandise and gift cards to the UofA Bookstore.

Kathylynn Saboda, a bio-statistician at the Arizona Cancer Center, was recognized at the event for her 15 years of service. Saboda said the positive work environment is what has kept her at the university.

“”I’ve learned a lot while I’ve been here. It always feels like they’re willing to let you grow,”” Saboda said.

Maria Gordon, program coordinator at the Clinical and Translational Science Research Center and UA alumna, was also honored at the event.

“”I just like the atmosphere and the people,”” said Gordon, a 10-year UA employee. “”I’ll stay as long as I can. It’s a great place to work.””

More than 1,100 employees were honored at the event, including one employee who has been at the UA for 45 years. Luncheon honorees accumulated a combined 19,423 years of service.