Barbecues, brunch, bonding: Colleges and programs welcome UA families for Family Weekend

Students and their parents can expect to have more than enough to do at UA’s Family Weekend 2016.

There are around 1,000 family members who have registered for official UA events this weekend, according to Courtney Olds, a computer science junior and ASUA Family Weekend executive director.

“This does not account for families coming to campus and not participating in the Family Weekend events specifically,” Olds pointed out. “Each college usually holds their own events.”

Coronado and Arizona-Sonora’s Hall Council and faculty fellows, for instance, are hosting When in Doubt, Brunch it Out.

The event will consist of a breakfast tailgate on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. on the PSU lawn, including some face painting and corn hole, according to Cameo Davis, Coronado community director.

“I’m super excited to spend time with my parents this weekend,” said Rachel Rabenstine, a communication freshman in the Honors College, whose parents live in Phoenix. “We definitely plan on tailgating and attending a barbecue.”

In addition to Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s Bear Down BBQ Bash, Apache-Santa Cruz will be having a cookout for residents and their parents on Friday at 5 p.m., according to Apache-Santa Cruz community director, Roberto Cruze.

Babcock, Pima and Rawls/Eller Lodge community director, Jessica Velazquez, added that the Blue Chip Leadership program will be hosting a BBQ at Pima Hall on Friday, Oct. 14 from 4:30-6:30 p.m.

Many dorms will not be holding any events due to a potential lack of attendance and to allow parents and students to have quality time, according to Matthew Linton, community director at Pueblo de la Cienega.

RELATED: Family Weekend comes with a price tag

Olds said usually each college has their honors convocation on the Friday of Family Weekend to honor their top-performing students with their families in town.

Rabenstine said that her parents are especially looking forward to attending the honors convocation.

“I’m just happy that they’re able to come,” Rabenstine said. “Before college, I’d never been away from them, so I think Family Weekend is important for combating homesickness.”

As for clubs around campus, many will be inviting parents to see what their students do in their free time when they aren’t studying.

RELATED: Home away from home: Greek Life introduces one family to another

With the amount of events that are organized on campus this weekend, students and their families will have no trouble finding events to attend.

Rabenstine said her and her parents plan to spend some time away from campus as well.

“I’m a freshman and I don’t have a car, so having access to a ride is definitely going to result in some grocery shopping,” Rabenstine said.

Family Weekend will not only allow for families to see their students’ progress in their new home but for students to take a well-earned break from their studies to spend time with their families. 

Follow Jessica Blackburn on Twitter.