Arizona point guard Josiah Turner to transfer

Arizona Wildcats head coach Sean Miller talks to freshman guard Josiah Turner in the closing minutes of the UAs 69-67 loss to the Washington Huskies on Saturday, January 28, 2012. Turner later attempted the game-tying put-back attempt, but could not convert as time ran out. 

Colin Darland / Daily Wildcat
Colin Darland
Arizona Wildcats head coach Sean Miller talks to freshman guard Josiah Turner in the closing minutes of the UA’s 69-67 loss to the Washington Huskies on Saturday, January 28, 2012. Turner later attempted the game-tying put-back attempt, but could not convert as time ran out. Colin Darland / Daily Wildcat

Arizona point guard Josiah Turner will transfer to another school, the UA announced Wednesday. Turner hasn’t made a decision which school he will attend. The Wildcats are now at the scholarship limit of 12 for next year.

The 6-foot-3, 192-pound native of Sacramento, Calif., averaged 6.8 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists while appearing in 29 of the school’s 35 games. Turner was suspended two separate times — including the entire Pac-12 Tournament and NIT — and was benched on Nov. 9, 2011, after showing up late to the team’s shootaround. Turner didn’t play in the team’s next game on Nov. 13, 2011.

Turner didn’t travel with the team for a Dec. 7, 2011, game at Florida, which the Wildcats lost 78-72 in overtime.

“I learned a lot in my year at Arizona and would like to thank my coaches, teammates and the fans for all of their support,” Turner said in a release.

Turner started 17 games for the Wildcats, scoring in double figures five times and dishing out five or more assists three times.

Head coach Sean Miller said Turner is expected to finish the semester and leave the school in good academic standing, meaning he won’t affect the Wildcats’ APR. Schools can now be banned from postseason play for having an APR of less than 930 for two years or 900 over a four-year span.

“Josiah made a great deal of progress as a student-athlete in his year with us,” Miller said.