Top 5 female athletes

Kenzie Fowler, Softball

The long-anticipated arrival of Tucson pitcher Kenzie Fowler wasn’t over hyped. The freshman has shown few problems in adjusting to pitching at the collegiate level, racking up honors such as the Louisville Slugger/NFCA Division I National Player of the Week, the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Week for the week of April 12-18 and one of 25 finalists for the 2010 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award.

The 2009 Gatorade National Player of the Year in high school pitched a perfect game in five innings against Oregon State on April 25 and has thrown three no-hitters so far this season.

Fowler is 31-6 through May 12, racking up 282 strikeouts and only giving up 104 hits through 214 1/3 innings pitched.

— Nicole Dimtsios

Annie Chandler, Swim

There weren’t many things senior Annie Chandler hadn’t accomplished in her time as a UA swimmer. She had been an All-American and team national champion. But in her final year as a Wildcat, she set her sights on finally winning an individual national championship in the 100-yard breaststroke.  

“”I’ve been wanting to do it for so long. It has really tested my patience,”” Chandler said. 

All of her hard work paid off when she didn’t just win the race, but also set an NCAA record in the event.  

“”It was a complete shock,”” she said. “”The whole team just flooded the pool deck, and they had tears in their eyes. It really was a cherry on top.””

— Derek Lawrence

Liz Patterson, Track

This year, Liz Patterson won the NCAA Indoor Championship in the women’s high jump. She adds this to her impressive list of achievements as an All-Conference athlete, All-Region athlete, National Outdoor Champion and Pacific 10 Conference Champion. She was also added to the Bowerman Award watch list — the MVP award of track and field. 

“”I’m proud of the legacy that I’ve left behind,”” Patterson said. 

The senior was a team captain in 2009 and 2010 and is working on her second National Championship in the high jump.  

— Galo Mejia

Ify Ibekwe, Basketball

As one of the most highly touted players in Arizona women’s basketball history, junior and Pacific 10 Conference Player of the Year, Ify Ibekwe managed to make serious headlines this past season. Along with her abilities in the low post and mid-range shooting that made opposing defenses quiver, Ibekwe was a beacon of leadership for her team. 

After a 17-foot jumper with 2:20 remaining in the first half of the home win against University of Washington, Ibekwe became one of 16 players in Arizona women’s basketball history to record 1,000 points in her career.

Along with her point totals, Ibekwe will enter her senior year with a career total of 880 rebounds, only 41 shy of the Arizona record.

— Dan Kohler

Paige Weber, Volleyball

The junior setter for the Arizona volleyball team has been a mark of consistency in her three years as a Wildcat. 

Weber was named the 2009 captain of the Arizona volleyball team, playing in 110 sets in the 2009 season. The Indanapolis, Ind., native has never missed a set in her collegiate carrer, playing in 183 sets in the past two seasons. 

She ranked in the top 50 in assists per set with an average of 10.7, a number that also led the Arizona team in 2009.

Weber and teammate Whitney Dosty were the two Wildcats of 24 players selected to lead its U.S. Women’s National A2 Program for 2010. 

— Nicole Dimtsios