Cats to don special jerseys for tournament play

In conjunction with Nike, Arizona will don new uniforms that are 10 inches smaller in the torso.

“”The thing with the current jerseys is that they’re heavy gear, they hold in a lot of the perspiration so you constantly see guys pulling their sleeves up,”” Olson said.

“”(Nike) started talking with us about the possibility of a sleeveless type so you don’t have (it) affecting the shot,”” he added.

But the writing on the jerseys will stay the same, Olson said.

“”Have you seen Florida? Well we’re not gonna have the Gator,”” he joked.

Florida is among three other teams – Syracuse and Ohio State being the others – that will also sport the new-look threads.

The only question left: Will Arizona go red or blue?

Radenovic, who joked he and Shakur were the presidents of the jersey committee, said the Wildcats would wear red.

“”I guess we won a lot of games on the road in those red jerseys,”” he said, “”so I’d rather stay with that one than wear blue because people will say if we lose, those blue jerseys were bad.””

Radenovic even joked about Olson’s reasoning for which jersey to wear.

“”I think coach loves to look at history and he would say, ‘Yeah, the Final Four team in

1984 wore red jerseys seven times and blue jerseys three times, and we won seven times,’ or something like that,”” Radenovic said.

(The Wildcats did not go to the Final Four in 1984, they were 11-17.)

But Olson would have the last laugh.

Assistant coach Miles Simon, who wore the blues on the way to the 1997 National Championship, convinced Olson to go blue from now on.

“”We all voted,”” Olson said about which jerseys the team would wear. “”Only I had more votes.””