Fast Facts

• A whale’s heart beats only nine times a minute.
  • The venom of the king cobra is so deadly that one gram of it can kill 150 people. Just to handle the substance can put one in a coma.
  • Every year more people are killed in Africa by crocodiles than by lions.
  • The flying snake of Java and Malaysia Chrysopelea ornata is able to flatten itself out like a ribbon and sail like a glider from tree to tree.
  • Male monkeys lose the hair on their heads in the same way that men do.
  • The bat is the only mammal that can fly.
  • A pig is a hog – hog is a generic name for all swine – but a hog is not a pig. In the terminology of pig raising, a pig is a baby hog less than 10 weeks old.
  • In the city of Washington, D.C., no building may be built taller than the Capitol.
  • The statue by Auguste Rodin that has come to be called “”The Thinker”” was not meant to be a portrait of man in thought. It is a portrait of the poet Dante.
  • An airplane uses more fuel flying at 25,000 feet than at 30,000 feet. The higher it flies, the thinner the atmosphere, and the plane consumes less fuel in less atmospheric resistance.
  • Children born in the month of May are on average 200 grams heavier at birth than children born in any other month.
  • The average hummingbird weighs less than a penny. It has a body temperature of 111 degrees and beats its wings more than 75 times a second. Its newborn are the size of bumblebees and its nest is the size of a walnut. The hummingbird is the only bird that can fly backward.
  • As people get older, their ability to hear high-pitched sounds diminishes. The ability to taste sweet foods also decreases with age.
  • Type O is the most common blood type in the world. Type AB is the rarest.