Hoops gain two more in 2009 class; Olson leads Hall of Fame class

The Arizona men’s basketball team has added two more commitments to their 2009 signing class, joining center Kyryl Natyazhko, and wings Kevin Parrom and Solomon Hill.

Oak Hill Academy point guard, Lamont “”MoMo”” Jones, committed after being released from his USC letter of intent. As of Sunday, Derrick Williams, a 6-foot-7, 210 pound forward announced the end of his recruitment. Williams chose Arizona over a number of teams including former Arizona Wildcat Josh Pastner’s Memphis Tigers.

The commitments come as a pleasant surprise to head coach Sean Miller’s staff, who a month ago said it was “”unlikely”” they would expand their class to four players, let alone five.

In late May, Miller said the staff would only consider commitments who “”fit the Arizona player mold.””

Williams joins both Jones and Hill as one-time Trojan commitments.

Former Wildcats drafted by UFL

Former Arizona Wildcat football players linebacker Ronnie Palmer and punter Danny Baugher were selected in the inaugural United Football League Draft on June 19.

Both players were chosen by the UFL’s Las Vegas team, which will be coached by former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel. The league website states that the teams “”own the rights to those players (drafted) if they choose to play in the United Football League.””

Swim and dive announce incoming class, transfers

The men’s and women’s swim and dive teams have announced their signing classes for the 2009-2010 school year.

Five freshmen will make their college debuts for the men and will be joined by two transfers, – sophomore Cameron Owen from Indiana and South African, junior Craig Jordens from Limestone College in South Carolina, according to Arizona Athletics.

For the women, head coach Frank Busch added seven freshmen along with three transfer students. Monica Drake of Bloomington, Ill., was the big name in the freshman class.

Senior Erin Campbell and freshman Hannah Ross are transfers from the University of Washington, whose swim program was dropped. The third transfer is sophomore Whitney Lopus, a former Utah Ute.

Both signing classes were ranked in the Top 20 in the nation, according to collegeswimming.com.

34th UA sports Hall of Fame inductees list:

Lute Olson, head coach
men’s basketball 1983-2008

J.T. Snow
baseball 1987-1989

Lorena Ochoa
women’s golf 2001-2002

Chris Nallen
men’s golf 2001-2004

Amy Linnen
track & field 2001-2004