Cheba Hut returns to campus

Baraha Elkhalil

Cheba Hut returned it its original location south of Sixth Street on April 4 and is already serving its signature toasted subs. The new manager, Rabbit, is hosting an official grand opening on April 20 with bands, disc jockeys, giveaways and raffles.

Cheba Hut’s closing in early December came as a shock to many who thought it appeared to be doing a lot of business.

“I was really surprised,” said Kevin Croneigh, a sophomore studying biomedical engineering and German. “I felt like every time I was there, it was really busy and they had good business.” 

On April 4, Cheba Hut reopened its doors under new management, and even though it has not officially reopened yet, business is going great, according to Rabbit, the new manager.

Rabbit said business has been “insanely busy” and said he feels like the closing in December has helped with current business.

“You take it away, and once you are like, ‘Hey guys, we are [reopened],’” Rabbit said, “then everyone wants to get their fix again.”

A customer favorite at the Sixth Street location is the “White Widow,” which is “chicken breast smothered in our signature, home-grown ranch dressing, topped with mushrooms, bacon and provolone,” according to the Cheba Hut menu.

Since it is under new management, new ideas will mix with old Cheba Hut traditions. Overall, the paint has changed, but the menu remains the same.

“Same menu as before, but we will be getting some new secret stashes,” Rabbit said.

The restaurant will also add a new featured sandwich unique to its location, which Rabbit said is “a plus about reopening the store.”

“We get to make up new sandwiches to give to people,” he said.

Kassidi Rettkowski, a former employee and biology sophomore, said she plans on working there again because it was a fun work environment.

“Since they remodeled the inside, it will be nicer looking,” Rettkowski said, “but I think it’s going to be basically the same.”

It seems Cheba Hut will continue on like it never left in the first place. It is carrying all the sandwiches people love and missed for a few months.

“I think their business will be better,” Croneigh said, “because people missed it, so you bring it back, and I think that people are definitely going to go there.”

The official grand opening event will take place April 20.

“We are going to have bands, DJs — we will probably have a dunk tank,” Rabbit said. There will also be giveaways and raffles at the party.

_______________

Follow Louis Vitiritti on Twitter.