GymCats ready for regionals

Jose Toro

GymCat Kennedi Davis strikes a pose after completing her routine on the balance beam and set a career-high score of 9.775. The balance beam event was Davis’ only routine at the UA vs. California meet on Jan. 26 in McKale Center. 

The University of Arizona women’s gymnastics team is headed to Corvallis, Ore., to compete in Gill Coliseum for the NCAA Regional Tournament first round starting April 4 at 3 p.m. Iowa is their first opponent. If the GymCats win the match, they will advance to the second round on Friday, April 5, and will face Stanford, Oregon State and Florida, among others. 

GymCat Christina Berg says one of the teams goals this season was to get back into the Regional Championship.

“When we realized we were locked in it brought positivity and happiness to our team. We are definitely a talented team that deserves to show off our skills in the regional competition,” the junior said.

RELATED: Athleticism in UA GymCat’s blood

Going into the first round of the tournament, Berg said it’s important for her to help her team achieve success.

“Just do my job of anchoring both bars and floor and having my teams back,” Berg said. “I also want to help my teammates in any way possible to ensure we have the best meet possible.”

Junior Christina Berg poses with excitement after she successfully sticks a landing from uneven bars on Friday, March 16th.

In preparation for regionals, the team has continued to do routines and pressure sets. They also had an intrasquad meet during their off week to ensure they stayed in the competition mindset. 

Berg says she is most excited about the fact the team brought qualifying for regionals back to the program.

“The team has worked so hard all year, and I cannot wait to see our final performances of the season,” Berg said.

Some of Bergs accomplishments this season include earning second team All-American and second team All-Pac-12 on the uneven bars.   

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter