UA faculty says goodbye to Humphrey at farewell reception

Keith Humphrey receives a gift box full of inside-joke farewells from UA staff and faculty at the reception held Jan. 7, 2013 at Student Union Memorial Center.

A farewell reception was held for Keith Humphrey, assistant vice president of student affairs and dean of students on Monday in the South Ballroom in the Student Union Memorial Center.

Humphrey will be vice president for student affairs at California Polytechnic.

Humphrey who has worked for the UA for 15 years, has held numerous leadership positions such as residence hall director and has served on the president’s advisory council on LGBTQ issues.

“He is one of the best problem solvers I know,” said Melissa Vito, vice president of student affairs, “He has never let me down, he is remarkable with everything he does.”

During the reception, Humphrey was given a shirt and a box containing an assortment of inside jokes he shared with other faculty members such as Coke Zero, a tie, a wine glass and cookie cutters.

Speakers at the ceremony showed admiration for Humphrey and referenced his love for Madonna.

“There is a Madonna song for every moment. Right now I am thinking of ‘Vogue’, but that doesn’t fit the situation,” Humphrey said, making the audience laugh.

Humphrey said he stayed longer than he had planned to at the UA.

“My goal was to go to California in two years but I stayed for 15 years,” Humphrey said.