What’s on your summer book list?

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat 

Melissa Kiguwa, a political science senior, enjoys the leisure of the shaded area east of the SUMC food court as she reads and enjoys her cool refreshment.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Melissa Kiguwa, a political science senior, enjoys the leisure of the shaded area east of the SUMC food court as she reads and enjoys her cool refreshment.

In between the bustle of summer classes, students can be seen around campus passing the time buried deep in a novel. From The New York Times Bestseller List to the classics, the literary interests students are exploring this summer are very diverse.

Alex Baker, a creative writing junior, said he has been revisiting the American classics this summer, such as “”The Catcher in the Rye”” by J.D. Salinger and Herman Melville’s “”Moby Dick.””

“”I really like the character in ‘Catcher in the Rye,'”” Baker said, “”I wouldn’t necessarily say the plot interests me, because there isn’t much of one, but I find the character very interesting.””

Veterinary science senior Karyn Wesley has been reading “”Thorn in My Heart”” and other novels by historical fiction author Liz Curtis Higgs. Wesley said she finds Higgs’ books in the Christian fiction section of bookstores.

“”I love this book because it has a lot of drama and captures your attention without making you feel like you’re reading something naughty,”” Wesley said of “”Thorn in My Heart.”” “”It’s a good romantic novel but isn’t dirty.””

Even through the stress and excitement of New Student Orientation, incoming freshman Bailey Saville found the time to finish the bestselling dramatic novel “”The Lovely Bones”” by Alice Sebold.

“”It was really sad, but a good book. I don’t know why it originally sparked my attention, but I kind of like the fact that it was so sad,”” Saville said.

Students are not the only Wildcats to catch up on their reading this season. UA President Robert Shelton shared his personal reading list for the summer with the Summer Wildcat.

Among the books on his list is the third novel in Stieg Larsson’s highly acclaimed Millennium trilogy, “”The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest.”” Shelton commented via e-mail that Larsson’s third novel intrigued him because of the “”complex characters and suspense.”” The late Swedish author’s renowned trilogy has already been adapted into a film in Sweden, and an American adaptation of the books has been rumored.

Also on Shelton’s list is the futuristic novel “”Ender’s Game”” by Orson Scott Card.

“”(‘Ender’s Game’) is recommended for the Honors College incoming students,”” Shelton said. “”It is one of my son’s favorite books, so I’m a bit behind the times here.””

Shelton also recommends “”The Palace Council”” by Stephen Carter. This novel centers on a national conspiracy and the main character, Eddie Wesley, a writer from Harlem.

“”I’ve read a number of (Carter’s) books,”” Shelton said. “”Always great character development.””

A few other books from his personal library that Shelton recommends for a light summer read are “”This Time Together”” by comedian Carol Burnett and the nonfiction book by Malcolm Gladwell, “”Outliers: The Story of Success.”” Shelton called “”Outliers”” a “”continuation of Gladwell’s insightful treatises.””