Women’s golf starts season, has work to do

Arizona womens golf junior Krystal Quihuis sizes up a putt at the NCAA tournament. The Wildcats travel to Golf, Illinois. this weekend to participate in the Windy City Classic.
Arizona Athletics

Arizona women’s golf junior Krystal Quihuis sizes up a putt at the NCAA tournament. The Wildcats travel to Golf, Illinois. this weekend to participate in the Windy City Classic.

The UA women’s golf team is back in full swing this season, completing two tournaments this month. The Wildcats opened their fall season at the Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico, from September 12-13 and finished in fifth place overall. The Wildcats ended with a strong third round at 4-under-par scoring 861 (-3). Oklahoma State won the tournament at 20-under-par.

Arizona junior Krystal Quihuis finished with a tie for third place, scoring 206 (-10), along with Haley Moore, who also earned a spot in third with rounds of 70, 71 and 65.

“We need to improve in the 3-5 spot to finish better as a team,” Arizona head coach Laura Ianello said.

In addition, Jessica Vasilic finished 6-over-par in a tie for 51st place, Natalia Forero ended in 31st place and Danielle Lee finished with a tie for 45th place.

The Arizona women’s golf team traveled to Orlando this week for the ANNIKA Intercollegiate. The Wildcats faced off against ASU, Arkansas, Central Florida, Duke, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, USC and Virginia at the Reunion Resort Watson Course where the Wildcats finished second (-11) last season.

The tournament resulted in some tough competition with 11 of the 12 teams having been placed in the Golfweek Preseason top-30. The Wildcats finished up the first round in 10th place where they shot even-par after round one.

Moore finished the first round with 69 (-3), which put her in a tie for eighth place while Quihuis finished in 14th with a score of 70 (-2). The Wildcats battled in the second round and finished in 10th place, but improved to 2-under-par. Lee led the second round for Arizona with a 3-under-par 69. Moore sat in a tie for 16th after a round of 71. UCLA led the tournament following the second round with a score of 25-under-par.

Tuesday was a difficult third round for the Wildcats, who finished 8-over-par, putting them in 12th place with a finishing score of 872.

Moore had a couple of days and tied for third place at 9-under-par with a final-round 67. Quihuis finished a 4-over-par round of 76 to tie for 34th place. Lee finished in a tie for 43rd while Forero finished in a tie for 55th place, scoring 78 in the final round.

“We need to eliminate small mistakes that cause bad bogeys,” Ianello said. “We need to work hard, improve day by day, enjoy the process and have a positive attitude.”

USC won the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at 24-under-par, and Maria Fassi of Arkansas won the individual competition at 11-under-par.

The Wildcats play again Monday at the Windy City Collegiate Classic in Golf, Illinois.

Follow Heather Ernst on Twitter.