Year in Review: Sequels dominate top games of 2012, wrap up epic game series

This year was an exciting one for video games, with some long-awaited and eagerly anticipated sequels. Now that it’s come to an end, it’s time to look back and remember the fond memories these games brought.

‘Deus Ex: Human Revolution’ – Aug. 23, 2011

This game will probably go unappreciated when compared to what else came out this year, but it really is one of the best. A player could stealth through the game, charge through guns blazing, persuade their enemies, or hack their way through and turn the enemies’ electronics against them. The story pulls the player throughout the whole thing and the world really does come to life. Aside from a letdown of an ending, gameplay wise, and out-of-place boss battles, it really shined overall. If you never got a chance to play it, do so.

‘Gears of War 3’ – Sept. 20, 2011

This epic conclusion to one of the most popular franchises in recent years didn’t disappoint. The writing, which was never the previous two games’ strong point, was finally done well. The gameplay was of the same fast-paced, exciting, gory, adrenaline-filled caliber gamers had come to expect. It’s by far the best entry in the series and one that you’ll get so wrapped up in that you’ll be surprised it’s already over.

‘Batman: Arkham City’ – Oct. 18, 2011

The crazies escaped the asylum and ran amok in Gotham City. That is, until the player takes over as Batman and puts them back where they belong. This game was certainly the contender for the best game of the year, and was released to rave reviews from almost every source. The action-adventure game made beating up criminals more fun than ever, and the host of gadgets were a great help.

‘Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception’ – Nov. 1, 2011

Almost more movie than game, the “Uncharted” series had another successful showing, exploring the history between two of the games main characters, Drake and Sully. The story, which is as good as ever, was the main selling point, but the fun adventure style, beautiful graphics, and far improved multiplayer made this one of the better games of the year. If you’re a fan of things like Indiana Jones or Lara Croft, be sure to look at “Uncharted 3.”

‘Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3’ – Nov. 8, 2011

Call of Duty always makes a killing, and although the formula never changes, sometimes that’s OK. The story was pretty atrocious, but it was still the best in the series. Playing was as fun as ever, but the highlight was definitely online multiplayer. Being competitive, and mildly offensive, online is always a blast, and getting to do it while shooting guns always makes it better. I’d tell you to go out and buy it, but if you’re reading this list, you probably already have it.

‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ – Nov. 11, 2011

The latest entry into the Elder Scrolls series is one of the longest games of all time. Beating every quest is nigh impossible, and while they can be repetitive, they’re still a blast. The options are almost as endless in combat, and players can really make their character their own. This game is probably one of the best of the year, and if you haven’t played it yet, be sure to pick it up. You’ll still be playing by this time next year.

‘Assassin’s Creed: Revelations’ – Nov. 15, 2011

The final chapter in famous assassin Ezio Auditore’s story was everything it should have been. The city of Constantinople was a nice change of pace when compared to Rome, and the improved game mechanics were revelatory. The way the developers incorporated Ezio’s aging was also fantastic, and the hook-blade added another dimension to the game. While the game didn’t answer all the questions the rest of the series brought up, it was still a key piece in one of the best game franchises still in production.

‘Final Fantasy XIII-2’ – Jan. 31, 2012

While the first “Final Fantasy XIII” left gamers feeling slightly cheated, this entry made up for it. The Advanced Time Battle system returned with a vengeance, making combat exciting and constantly changing. While it was odd to only have two consistent characters in the party, being able to fight alongside the same monsters you’re always battling turned out to be great fun. The story was ambitious and interesting, with a bad ass villain in Caius and a heroic duo of Noel and Serah. While it could have used a little more Lightning — the character, not the force of nature — it was still a solid entry in a stoic franchise.

‘Mass Effect 3’ – March 6, 2012

Despite its highly controversial ending, “Mass Effect 3” was the best game of the academic year. Commander Shepard’s final bout against the menacing Reapers was a perfect marriage of the first two games. Old faces and new gathered together to take back the Earth in a game that only had one major flaw. In reality though, the most disappointing thing about BioWare’s smashing success was that it had to end eventually, leaving many wishing there was more.

— Jason Krell is the assistant copy chief. He can be reached at arts@wildcat.arizona.edu or on Twitter via @WildcatArts .