Arizona Softball gets swept in series against No. 4 UCLA

Nathanial Stenchever

Arizona softball team huddle after an inning on Friday March 4 at Rita Hilbrand Memorial Stadium. After a slow start the wildcats would win 11-3.

Arizona softball opened Pac-12 play against the No. 4 UCLA Bruins in Los Angeles on Saturday night. They were shut out 5-0, in what would be a theme in the series. 

Saturday (3/19)

Arizona got two hits in the game from Jasmine Perezchica and Izzy Pacho. UCLA on the other hand scored on doubles in the first inning and then again in the fourth inning. 

The Bruins put the game away with a home run and two RBI in the 6th. Devyn Netz couldn’t get going in the game on the pitching side for Arizona either. 

Sunday (3/20)

On Sunday, game two was even worse with the Bruins pitching a no-hitter against the Wildcats. UCLA’s pitcher, Holly Azevedo, had a field day against the Wildcats. 

They only got one player on base all game with Allie Skaggs, but it was immediately wiped out with a double play from the UCLA defense. Arizona freshman starting pitcher, Madi Elish, held her own and allowed five hits and three runs, but it just wasn’t enough as the Wildcats lost 3-0. 

RELATED: Arizona Softball finished out its second sweep in two weeks in the Bear Down Fiesta tournament

Monday (3/21)

On Monday, the series mercifully ended with UCLA winning 7-0. UCLA allowed two hits all game with pitcher Megan Faraimo not allowing any hits until the 6th inning. 

UCLA scored on two home runs and then a single and an error as well. The error was by Carlie Scupin after Sharlize Palacios overthrew it. Arizona’s pitcher, Devyn Netz struggled on the day as well, giving up six runs on four hits and three walks. 

Jasmine Perezchica was the only one to get a hit off UCLA’s Faraimo before she was replaced. Allie Skaggs and Izzy Pacho then got singles each when the change happened, but Arizona’s offense stalled and couldn’t take advantage of the change.

The trip to LA was disastrous for the Wildcats. They were outscored 15-0 in the series which signals a continuing trend of Arizona’s offense struggling against top-tier teams. Arizona is back at Hillenbrand on Friday, March 25 and renews its rivalry when it plays No. 20 Arizona State at 6:00 PM. 

Follow Jake Faigus on Twitter