UA Honors College to propose almost double yearly fee increase

Breaking News (Illustration by Pascal Albright | Daily Wildcat)

The University of Arizona’s Honors College announced intentions to submit a fee increase proposal to the Arizona Board of Regents. 

Students currently enrolled in the Honors College pay an additional $500 per year. The proposed increase is $950 per year, almost double the current rate. Honors College Dean Terry L. Hunt said in an email the increase would take effect fall 2021, provided the proposal is approved. 

RELATED: Campus reentry update: Robbins announces tentative Phase 2 reentry date

Hunt said the Honors College will expand multiple resources for students in the college, including more major-related, general education and elective honors classes, more interdisciplinary minors, increased faculty engagement and mentoring, developing of online honors courses, increased funding availability for thesis research, increased availability for research, internships and study abroad, provide more career development resources and increase peer support programs. 

“We certainly recognize that the fee poses a financial hardship for some students and we are deeply committed to continued and increased support of those with financial need,” Hunt said via email. 

Hunt also said the proposal was a result of two surveys and student focus groups in order to develop a more “robust” Honors College experience. In the upcoming weeks, honors students will have the chance to share their input regarding the future plans for the college. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter