UA Homecoming Week filled with traditions and activities

Rebecca Noble
Homecoming floats in the 2016 homecoming parade.

The University of Arizona kicks off its 104th Homecoming Week Oct. 21 with the lighting of ‘A’ Mountain. 

While the members of UA’s senior honorary climb the mountain with flares and other gear, students and visitors can watch from the top floor of Main Gate Garage, as the mountain comes to light after sunset. The event, hosted by UA Alumni Association and Student Alumni Ambassadors, will feature food and refreshments, Wilbur and Wilma, and UA’s cheerleaders. 

Before the ‘A’ Mountain lighting ceremony, the Lighting of “A”, [a] Fun 5 kilometer walk or run will take place on the UA Mall at 3 pm beginning at Old Main. The run is a charity event to benefit Campus Pantry, UA’s campus food bank, and all participants are encouraged to donate.  

Fast forward to Oct. 25, the graduates of the class of 1968 will be celebrating their 50th reunion with a dinner and reception. 

For those who cannot remember 1968, the UA Library has got it covered. Visitors to campus can experience a free, curated mini-tour through the major events that captivated UA, Tucson, popular culture and more in 1968. The ‘1968 in America’ exhibit will be open from 9 am to 3 pm all week at the Libraries’ Special Collection. 

Every year, each college at the UA chooses an outstanding alumnus. On Oct. 26, UA’s Alumni Association will honor the recipients for their outstanding professional achievement and humanitarianism at a free ceremony in the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom South from 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm. 

RELATED: Homecoming 2017: Back where it all began

Later that night at the Old Main Fountain, the 2018 Homecoming King and Queen will be announced during the Bear Down Friday Pep Rally. The event will also feature a bonfire and the Pride of Arizona marching band. 

The Pride of Arizona marches in the homecoming parade around the UA mall on Oct. 28.

Before UA football takes on the Oregon Ducks, over 50 floats and the Pride of Arizona marching band will march in UA’s annual Homecoming Parade.

On the UA Mall, UA colleges, Greek organizations and clubs set up tents and games for a free tailgate for alumni to enjoy before cheering on UA at the football game. 

These aren’t all the events happening homecoming weekend. Several colleges and UA destinations are hosting events for alumni. 

On Wednesday, Oct. 24 at 10 am, the UA Art Museum is giving a public tour of its collection of over 40 outdoor statues that create a visual history of UA’s unique culture. 

On Friday, Oct. 26 at 10 am and 1 pm, the Richard F. Caris Mirror Lab is providing tours of [the] UA world renowned mirror laboratory located under the Arizona Stadium. 

On Saturday, Oct. 27 at 8 am 9:30 am and 11 am, the Honors College will be providing a tour of the construction site of the new Honors Village and discussing the future of the Honors College. 

Also on Oct. 27 at 11 am, the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium will be hosting a show projected onto their dome focused on UA’s accomplishments in the field of astronomy and space exploration. 

Learn about all the events of Homecoming Week online at arizonaalumni.com

Follow Randall Eck on Twitter