Arizona football notebook: Jayden de Laura has career day, wide receivers shine and Alex Lines update

Nathanial Stenchever

Dorian Singer, a wide receiver on the Arizona football team, makes a diving catch in a game against Pac-12 opponent the University of Colorado Boulder on Oct. 1 at Arizona stadium. The Wildcats would win the game 43-20. 

Wildcat of the Week

The Arizona football team’s Christian Young won the team’s weekly award of Wildcat of the Week. This award is given to the Arizona football player that impacts the program on and off the field during that week. Young had a good performance against University of Colorado Boulder, where he finished the game with 0.5 sacks and six total tackles.

Wide receivers shine

It was announced on Monday that Arizona wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan has won the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. This award came after catching five passes for 90 total yards and one touchdown during Saturday’s victory against Colorado.

McMillan originally committed to the University of Oregon and then decommitted to finally choose to come to Arizona late in the recruiting process.

For the first time since 2002, Arizona had two wide receivers gain at least 160 yards throughout a single game. Jacob Cowing had 12 catches for 180 yards and one touchdown, while Dorian Singer caught nine passes for 163 yards and a touchdown. Cowing surpassed 3,000 total yards for his collegiate career and received a game ball for that accomplishment.

Cowing is now fifth in receiving yards with 566 and second in touchdowns with seven for receivers in FBS football.

“The reason why I brought this in here is because I was just talking to my family and everything like that, so I wanted to kind of share that one with my mom. I’ve been telling her since I was maybe like eight, nine years old, that that was something I wanted to do at the U of A,” Cowing said.

Jayden de Laura has career day

Jayden de Laura threw for 484 yards and six touchdown passes during Saturday’s game against the Colorado Buffaloes. His six touchdown passes tied the Arizona school record of most touchdown passes since 1982.

“So, if he can continue to make jumps, like he’s been making, then we’re gonna have a really good offense,” head coach Jedd Fisch said. “But we just know that each week we’re going to continue to work to get better and hold him to a higher standard next week.”

RELATED: Key plays from Arizona’s victory against Colorado

Tight end group changes

Fisch said tight end Alex Lines is no longer on the team because he chose to not be anymore. Lines had 10 catches for 138 yards as a freshman a season ago and was off to a slow start this year after only catching one pass during the first four games of the season.

Fisch said Tanner McLachlan will continue to see a lot of playing time and his role could improve. Fisch also talked about how freshman tight end Keyan Burnett’s role will increase. Burnett hasn’t seen a ton of playing time during the first five games but that will soon change.

Injury updates

Arizona cornerback Isaiah Rutherford did not play against Colorado and is day-to-day after suffering a bone bruise during practice last week.

Wildcats safety Jaxen Turner should be a full-go according to Fisch after missing the game against Colorado.

Defensive lineman Tiaoalii Savea is day-to-day and his status is unknown for this Saturday’s game against the University of Oregon.

Always the underdog

“One thing we talked about all week long was [that] we’re always the underdog,” Fisch said. “We take the mentality of ‘we’re going to grind’ and our philosophy here is to embrace that grind every day and not worry about what others think outside of the building, we worry about what we think inside our building.

“We’re all about just starting this thing the right way, we believe in the way we’re doing it, and we believe in our process of continuing to get better every day,” Fisch said. “I think today was an opportunity [to get] better, but I know that we still have a long way to go to where we want to be. We’ll continue to battle and work hard and practice hard and see how good we can be.”

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter