MOMIX to spin a ‘remix’ at Centennial Hall

Get ready for a new type of dance experience as MOMIX takes the stage Saturday night at Centennial Hall.

Internationally acclaimed for presenting concerts that take audiences into the surreal and fantastic, MOMIX steps beyond the limits of a typical modern dance performance. Integrating theater, acrobatics and dance, company members are often referred to as dancer-illusionists, and founder and artistic director Moses Pendleton is hailed as one of the scene’s most imaginative and inventive choreographers.

Although the company is based in Washington, Conn., MOMIX has dazzled audiences around the globe and has even appeared in film and on television. Blending eccentric props, imaginative lighting and energetic choreography, Pendleton’s works ignite the stage and give audiences a multimedia visual treat.

The company is set to perform “”ReMIX,”” a collection of MOMIX’s greatest and most beloved works, in honor of the company’s 30th anniversary season.

“”The show is like a compilation album,”” said Pendleton, who also co-founded the Pilobolus Dance Theater. “”It features excerpts from five different programs which highlight the basic MOMIX aesthetic.””

While previous works from such acclaimed shows as “”Opus Cactus”” and “”Passion”” will once again grace the stage, MOMIX will also provide a sneak preview of their newest concert, “”Botanica,”” which is currently running in Europe.

So what makes their work a hit?

“”Well, with MOMIX, audiences should always expect the unexpected,”” Pendleton chuckled. “”Just sit back and let MOMIX take you on a little trip.””

And with stunning athletic spectacles, such as a pas de deux on skis, an extraordinary score and vibrant set design, the fast-paced electric concert is sure to deliver nothing short of magic.

“”It is about the freedom of the spirit and the mind.”” Pendleton noted. “”The dances are about making contact with the elements and forces of nature. They are that of our dreams and fantasies, creation and invention.””

After a journey to the surreal and back, UApresents audiences should not be surprised if they walk away with a little jump in their step.

MOMIX: ””ReMIX””, Saturday 8 p.m., Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd. Call 520-621-3341 or visit www.uapresents.org for tickets. Tickets are available for $15 to all UA students.

Also be sure to check out:

“”A Year with Frog and Toad”” – the fun and beloved Broadway musical hit that follows the delightful characters Frog and Toad as they discover the importance of friendship and the value of individuality.

Sunday 3 p.m., Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd. Call 520-621-3341 or visit www.uapresents.org for tickets. Tickets are available for $15 to all UA students.