Key plays from the 2020 Territorial Cup

Kevin+Sumlin+coaches+the+team+from+the+sidelines+during+the+UA+v+USC+game+on+Saturday%2C+Sep+29+at+Arizona+Stadium.+
Madeleine Viceconte
Kevin Sumlin coaches the team from the sidelines during the UA v USC game on Saturday, Sep 29 at Arizona Stadium.

What an awful finish to the slated schedule for Arizona. The Wildcats lost 70-7 to their in-state rivals of Arizona State, and as you can imagine, things were over very quickly as Arizona State scored 14 points 56 seconds into the game. The defense gave up the program’s most points ever in Pac-12 conference play while ASU broke the record for most points scored in the rivalry game history. Let us take a look at the top plays from the Territorial Cup: 

No. 3 D.J. Taylor returns kick 104 yards for TD

On the opening play of the game, Arizona State defensive back D.J. Taylor took the ball from the back right of his own end zone, four yards to be exact, and began to return it. Taylor began to run toward the middle of the field, then made a cut to the right sideline, made kicker Lucas Havrisik miss, then was gone on the return for the touchdown. No Arizona player was even close to catching Taylor, and it seemed that the right side of the kickoff return was missing because the closest player was at the beginning of the play towards the Arizona State 25-yard line. 

RELATED: The Wildcats gets blown out by ASU in the Territorial Cup by 63 points

No. 2 Rachaad White 93-yard rushing TD

With 12 minutes left in the second quarter, Arizona State lined up with quarterback Jayden Daniels and running back Rachaad White in the backfield, and they ran an outside zone to the short side of the field. White made two Arizona defensive backs miss then was gone to the house. During the play, the linebackers got sucked into the outside because the lineman for the Sun Devils got up to them, which made the hole for White pretty big and made the cut easy to make from there. All he had to do was outrun the safety of Arizona. 

No. 1 Jackson He’s 1-yard touchdown run

Maybe it was not the longest play of the game, but it did break records. Jackson He, who was born in Shaoguan, China, became the first player born in China to score a touchdown in an FBS game. He, a walk-on at ASU, moved to the U.S. when he was 17 years old. He played high school football starting five years ago in San Diego when he first moved here, and tonight he scored his first collegiate touchdown, setting the record for the first touchdown for a player born in China. 

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter