UA science departments showcase student work as end of semester nears

File Photo
    Students browse booths at Engineering Design Day in the Student Union Memorial Center on May 5, 2015. The Interdisciplinary Engineering Design Program divides seniors from the College of Engineering into teams, working with sponsors such as Raytheon, Tucson Electric Power and Honeywell.

The end of the year might be the busiest time for a lot of students, but it’s also when the academic year’s long hours of work in science are on display. If you need a break from studying for finals and want to see what’s happening in UA science, check out these events and panels:

Physiology Undergraduate Program Annual Poster Session

When: Wednesday, April 20 from 3-4:30 p.m.

Where: Student Union Memorial Center,
    Tucson Room

What: Presentations of independent studies, directed research and honors senior theses all from undergraduates working in the field of physiology. This is a great event to attend if you want to get an idea of what kind of research opportunities are available for undergraduates in physiology, or if you want to learn more about how the body works.

Sustainable Built Environments Senior Showcase

When: Friday, April 22 starting at 10:30 a.m.

Where: Architecture building, Sundt Gallery

What: Graduating seniors in the Sustainable Built Environments program will present their research projects, and juniors will present their internship work. In a time where sustainability is so important, check out innovation and research in the field done by UA students.

Panel: How Tucson Mapped the Way to the Moon and Planets

When: Monday, April 25 at 6 p.m.

Where: Main Library, Special Collections

What: A panel presented by the UA Press and the UA Lunar and Planetary Laboratory featuring scientists Peter Smith, Ewen Whitaker and William Hartmann. Melissa Sevigny, an NPR science and technology reporter and the author of “Under Desert Skies,” will moderate the panel. “Under Desert Skies” discusses how a laboratory at the UA paved the way in the field of the study of planets when the solar system was not often studied. Learn more about the UA’s long history of groundbreaking work in planetary science by attending this panel.

Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Undergraduate Poster Session

When: Thursday, April 28 from 12-3 p.m.

Where: Life Sciences South building, second floor

What: Ecology and evolutionary biology or biology majors and minors will present the research they have conducted throughout the year. Check out what’s new in undergraduate biology research and get an idea of research opportunities available in the biological sciences.

UA Engineering Design Day 2016

When: Tuesday, May 3 starting at 11 a.m.

Where: Student Union Memorial Center, Grand Ballroom

What: A presentation of more than 100 student projects in the Engineering Design Program, put on by the UA College of Engineering. According to the Engineering Design Program website, teams of seniors present projects like architectural drawings, life-saving robots and solar powered whiskey sills. Go explore Wildcat innovation.

Follow Hannah Dinell on Twitter.