Track eyes Sun Devil showdown

Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Track and Field athletes participated in Saturdays annual Arizona International at Drachman Stadium.
    Claire C. Laurence/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Track and Field athletes participated in Saturday’s annual Arizona International at Drachman Stadium.

With only one meet to go until the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, the No. 6 Arizona men’s and unranked women’s track and field teams will have all the practice they need when they face off against their own version of the evil empire – ASU, that is.

The Arizona-ASU-NAU Double Duel meet scheduled for tomorrow at 5 p.m. at Roy P. Drachman Stadium will be a great way for the Wildcats to prepare for the championships, said Fred Harvey, Arizona’s track and field head coach.

“”It’s a very intense rivalry,”” he said. “”I consider this the beginning of Championship Week.””

The scoring meet will feature highly competitive athletes from the Sun Devils’ No. 7 women’s team.

“”ASU has definitely one of the better teams in the country,”” Harvey said. “”They’ve always had tremendous teams.

“”Quite frankly, they don’t like losing to us,”” he said.

On the men’s side, it’s all going to come down to the 4-by-400-meter relay race, Harvey said.

After losing last year’s meet to ASU, the Wildcats want to really step up their game, Harvey said.

“”Every person that’s going to be wearing a Wildcat jersey is going to do better,”” he said.

But it’s going to be tough, said Robert Cheseret, a senior All-American distance runner.

Cheseret, who hasn’t seen the Wildcats win the event in the four years that he has been on the team, said all of the athletes need to score in order to beat the Sun Devils.

“”We actually need to score points in almost every event,”” Cheseret said.

Cheseret, who will be competing in the 1,500m and the 3,000m run, said he looks forward to this weekend.

“”I am going to put all of my effort into the races,”” Cheseret said.

All-American senior thrower Sean Shields, who will compete in the discus, shot put and hammer, agreed.

“”I like competing against ASU,”” he said.

Shields said he hopes to do his best.

“”I’d like to throw close to 20 meters in the shot,”” Shields said. “”I don’t know about the discus. We’ll see.””