Arizona women’s tennis flexes their depth as they outpace the Wolfpack

Marisa Favero
Tennis partners, Mary Lewis (left) and Talya Zandberg (right) congratulate each other after a point against Nevada on Feb. 9.

The undefeated Arizona women’s tennis team continued their early-season dominance as they beat the visiting University of Nevada 5-2.

The Wildcat’s weekend home stand started with the ‘Cats taking the doubles point, as Mary Lewis and reigning Pac-12 player of the week Talya Zandberg set the tone for Arizona by cruising to a 6-0 win. Arizona’s Belgian connection clinched the crucial point for the Cats as they won their match 6-2.

In the singles portion, things were much more up in the air as the Wildcats were involved in some tightly contested matches that went to a tiebreaker or third set.

Senior Devin Chypyha and junior Camila Wesbrooks struggled throughout Friday afternoon, as their double partnership fell short 4-6. Chypyha dropped her singles match in straight sets 4-6 and 3-6, while Wesbrooks clawed her way back to a tiebreaker set before falling short in the end, losing 6-7, 6-1 and 4-10 in the tiebreak session.

However, the story of the day was Arizona’s depth and its ability to win points on the bottom part of the lineup. The youthful energy from Arizona was able to supplement the Chypyha and Wesbrooks’ off day. 

Arizona freshman Mary Lewis continues her impressive start to her Arizona career as she took care of business in straight sets, winning 6-4 in both sets. Another UA freshman Gitte Heynemans got in on the fun as well, capturing an important point for the Wildcats, winning in just two frames 6-1 and 7-5.

Freshman Talya Zandberg continues her undefeated singles start to six matches as she continues to build confidence in each match, winning 6-1 and 7-6 for the Wildcats.

The Wildcat women’s team will be back in action at the Lorelle Robson Tennis Center taking on the University of Houston at 11 a.m on Sunday Feb. 11.  

Follow David Skinner on Twitter