Main Library announces closure due to coronavirus

While+the+Main+Library+is+under+construction%2C+signs+are+placed+along+the+fences+to+help+students+find+the+entrance+to+the+library+and+other+buildings+nearby.+
Amy Bailey
While the Main Library is under construction, signs are placed along the fences to help students find the entrance to the library and other buildings nearby.

At 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday, March 18, University of Arizona Libraries announced that the Main Library would be closed as of 5 p.m. the same night. 

Along with the Main Library, CATalyst Studios, the Science-Engineering Library, the Fine Arts Library and Special Collections are also closed. 

The Arizona Health Sciences Library is closed to the public, but is still open to UAHS clients through their CatCard as of March 18. There is, however, no staff on the site, according to their website.

RELATED: New announcements about status of on-campus living during UA COVID-19 changes

The announcement for the closing of the Main Library was also made on an Instagram story by the university’s Student Recreation Center.

It is unconfirmed how long these closures are to last. 

According to the library website, students can still checkout laptops from the front entrance of the Main Library from 1-5 p.m. daily. Due dates for returning technology have been extended to the end of the semester. 

This is a breaking story and will be updated as more information is released.

Follow Quincy Sinek on Twitter