“Win or lose, students will never forget the ’88 Wildcats “

March 30, 1988 — It is the year 2000.

University of Arizona students who graduated from 1988-92 are now successful in their respective careers.

They are doctors who are healing the unfortunate. There are highly successful accountants who are counting more money than ever thought imaginable.

There are also discount store clerks, Taco Bell cashiers, and a host of other professions.

It is a time when memories occur, bringing back the good times and bad.

It is a time of remembering one’s first child, other, their first or second or even third marriage, still others seeing themselves, only the long run to turn out to be quite successful.

It is a time everyone will look back and cherish the highlight of their college careers, like pledge parties and the graduation ceremony itself.

It is the time the Wildcat basketball team went to Kansas City, Mo., to strut their stuff so the entire nation would stand-back and take notice and apologize for generation to come about how disrespectful they had been toward Arizona.

It is a time when close friends will reminisce about April 4, 1988, and how Arizona captured the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament championships with an 88-79 victory over the Duke Blue Devils.

It will be a time when college sweethearts say, “”that was the first of many championships to come.””

It will be the time when the question, “”John Wooden who? What did he do that Lute Olson did not,”” comes about.

It is a time when everyone from students to faculty members to administrators look back and say, ‘Sean Elliott scored 33 points — what a fine player he was.””

It is a time when rival students from Arizona and Arizona State get together and clash over the Wildcats winning a national championship, while ASU sank faster than the Titanic.

It is a time when they can simply forget about whatever problems hey have and recollect the good time. The times that will never be forgotten — a national championship.

It is March 30, 1988 — five days until dream can come true.

It is the evening of April 4, 1988, and the Wildcats just lost the championship game. So what. UA fans are sad, but not disappointed at what has been accomplished.

Or . . .

It is he morning of April 5, 1988, and the Wildcats give people in the year 2000 something to remember.