Sports Brief

M-hoops adds walk-on

Freshman Arvizu follows high school teammate to UA

Freshman Robert Arvizu out of Phoenix North High School has joined the Arizona men’s basketball team as a walk-on, head coach Sean Miller announced Thursday.

Arvizu, a high school teammate of four-star freshman Daniel Bejarano, is the 15th member of Arizona’s 2010-11 roster. His father, Ray Arvizu Sr., was an AAU coach and mentor to Bejarano.

The 6-foot, 185 pound guard averaged 9.8 points and 6.1 assists per game during his senior campaign as his team finished as the state’s champion in the 5A division. The school also won the championship game in 2009 when Arvizu hit the game-winning shot, according to a press release.

— Kevin Zimmerman

Arizona football names team captains

The Arizona football team named team captains Wednesday afternoon, tabbing quarterback Nick Foles, center Colin Baxter, defensive tackle Lolomana Mikaele and defensive end Brooks Reed as the leaders of the pack.

Baxter captured the honor last season as well, rounding out a captains core that also included Cam Nelson, Terrell Turner and Earl Mitchell.

“”It means a lot,”” Baxter said. “”You got respect from your teammates. It means they see me as a leader so that means now I got to go out there and lead.””

While Baxter is on his second go-around, Foles, Reed and Mikaele are all experiencing their first taste of captaincy.

“”It’s a blessing. It’s a big responsibility,”” Mikaele said. “”Leading the defense, always doing the right thing, not just for me, but for everybody.””

The defensive tackle’s selection was somewhat of a surprise due to his position as well as his soft-spoken nature. But the players, who voted on the captains, couldn’t agree more with Mikaele’s selection.

“”He’s the type of guy that gets in there every day and does everything right,”” Baxter said. “”He might not be a vocal leader, but he leads by example.””

—Mike Schmitz

Softball to hold open tryouts

The Arizona softball team will hold open tryouts on Sept. 17 at 2:30 p.m. at Hillenbrand Stadium. The Wildcats finished 52-14 for the 2010 season and were runners-up to UCLA after losing the championship series 2-0 in the Women’s College World Series, which took place in Oklahoma City, Okla., during June. The Wildcats are winners of eight national titles and are led by head coach Mike Candrea. Interested parties should contact assistant coach Larry Ray before Sept. 10 by visiting him at his office in room 239A in the McKale Center.

—Nicole Dimtsios