ASUA and Freshman Class Council review plans for the new year

Brandi Walker

Executive VP Hastings and other senators of the ASUA hold a meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 2. They met again this past Wednesday to discuss yearly goals.

The ASUA Senate met with Freshman Class Council Wednesday to discuss yearly goals and possible changes. At the meeting, the FCC presented plans on starting their first annual scholarship for students.

Cole Driver, FCC director, will raise money throughout the year to cover a three-unit class for freshman. FCC members will serve as a selection committee for the scholarship and the winner will be announced and granted a check in FCC’s name for about $1,300.

“FCC creates a first base solution program with [the Associated Students of the University of Arizona] designed to develop Arizona’s future leaders of tomorrow by enhancing their integrity, motivation and confidence by fostering a positive environment for the cultivation of leadership and social skills, as well as learning all facets of ASUA and becoming an integral part of the ASUA community,” Driver said.

During the meeting, the senate discussed mentoring students for the upcoming application season.

ASUA’s main focus this year will be on The Cubbie Shadowing Program, where students will have the opportunity to shadow ASUA senators. The goal of this program is to provide opportunities for students to gain knowledge on the application process of becoming a Cubbie.

ASUA will also decide on a new parliamentarian position for the upcoming year. This new position will work closely with the budget and hold extra training workshops. The senate will make a decision whether or not to implement this position permanently.

While ASUA Sen. Maddy Bynes, Hailey Schwartz and Alexa Jenkins said the position can be a beneficial resource for new organizations, ASUA Sen. Natalie Scibilia called for more research on the new position and said the person needs to be thoroughly trained.

ASUA Sen. Joe Zanoni gave his thoughts on the new position and what it could bring to the senate.

“To make things more broad, we can make the position an advisor to the senate,” Zanoni said. “They don’t have to be a parliamentarian per say, but in the future, if an application does have that experience that can make them higher in the list, [it should be considered]. But at this time, I’m not comfortable making a position just for a parliamentarian, especially next year. I think it would be troublesome whenever he’s gone to fill a position that small, but making it an advisor position can open it up to a lot more students.”

Follow Gabriella Vukelic on Twitter.