Free on iTunes: August 11

To spare you the potentially wasted minutes and near-certain embarrassment of acquiring crappy music, let’s put on our driving goggles, take a ride down the information superhighway and listen to some free music. Here’s what you should know about this week’s free songs from iTunes:

“Is Your Love Big Enough?”
    Lianne La Havas

If this song is at all indicative of her usual and future work, Lianne La Havas is a talented singer and a creator of distinctive original music. “Is Your Love Big Enough?” is a joyful, soulful, powerful song featuring real instruments and a real human voice — and that in itself is a small miracle. Although La Havas takes a few seconds to hit her stride — the intro of the song is a bit difficult to follow rhythmically — once she does you never want her to stop. The simple but effective electric guitar lick provides the perfect contrast to La Havas’s soaring, crooning, warbling vocals, and every time the chorus breaks in you can’t help but bob your head along. While the lyrics seem to build up to a conclusion that isn’t there, the individual lines are charmingly imagistic. Besides, when the music is this good, the lyrics are largely irrelevant. Comparisons to female British singers like Adele and the late Amy Winehouse are inevitable but not quite pertinent: Lianne La Havas occupies a class of her own, somewhere in the confluence of soul, world, funk, electronic and pop.

Bottom line: If you dig talented female vocalists, get this track.