Soccer faces final two

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

This weekend all five seniors will have a chance to leave a lasting impression as they take on Oregon at Mulcahy Stadium at 7 p.m. and Oregon State on Sunday at 11 a.m. on senior day. Senior day marks not just the last home game but the final game in their collegiate career.

“”It’s sad but at the same time it’s exciting to play in front of our fans for one last time,”” said senior midfielder Jasmine Namdar. “”We just want play hard and try to end it all on a positive note.””

Redshirt senior Devon Wharf, is the only Arizona soccer senior who will leave with postseason experience.

Though they didn’t win as many games as they would have preferred, once they hang their cleats up this weekend, they will be the senior class with the most wins against ASU since the inception of the team.

“”I wish we could’ve had a better record to go along with it, but for two straight years, we’re the best team in the state of Arizona,”” Wharf said.

After years of being ASU’s punching bag, the Wildcats have turned the tide and made this the most successful senior class against the Sun Devils. None of the previous players from the soccer program’s 15-year history has had the success against ASU like this group of seniors.

Despite losing more games than winning, every senior has a memory that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

For Analisa Marquez, a Tucson native, just being able to make it for four years after joining the team as walk on is gratifying enough.

“”I’m proud to make it all four years. A lot of people had doubts about how well I would do here,”” Marquez said. “”I had to prove myself day in day out, I came through some tough times my freshman and sophomore year. It’s been a great experience to make it this far as a walk on.””