Changing fashion telling of times

Kristina Remy

Coco Chanel once said, “”Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.””

For 125 years, students have trekked through the UA campus sporting everything from 1950s-style A-line dresses to Ugg boots with denim skirts. Any occasion is a good occasion to reflect on our past style and think about our future appearance. We have teased our ’80s hair, cut off our ’90s jeans, tied our timeless ties and even polished our classic leather oxfords … but to what extent does any of this matter?

Fashion trends are a reflection of cultural thought. Our outward appearances are the first impression people encounter when they view us as a student body. It’s interesting to look around campus and think about what kind of social values and messages we are trying to assert through our clothing. Perhaps our current legging trend is indicative of our need for comfort or of our appreciation for physical fitness. Maybe we just miss the ’90s. Either way, when we get up in the morning as a student body we have the opportunity to display our pride in our school and intellectual pursuits.

In a sense, we are all athletes of knowledge and should be in uniform for the game. These photos are you, Wildcats, and your photos are going to be added to the collection. What pictures of ours will resurface 125 years from now? Will they say the right things? Consider this your challenge.